The Student Room Group

Home Status/Postgraduate Loan - Requirements for pre-settled nationals

Hi!

I'd like to inquire about Postgraduate Loan and Home fee status for postgraduate study.

I am an EU national holding pre-settled status - I can apply for settled status in October 2025. I have been studying full-time in the UK for the past 2 years and during that, I've been working part-time with some breaks for 1.5 years. Before that, I resided in the EU. By the time the MA course starts, I'll be living in the UK for 2 years and 11 months.

Does this fit the requirement for pre-settled holders to apply for Postgraduate Loan outlined on the government website quoted below:

"If you’re an EU national or a family member of an EU national
You may be eligible if you’re an EU national, or a family member of an EU national, and all the following apply:

- you have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
- you’ve normally lived in the UK, the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland or overseas territories for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’)
- you’ll be studying at a university or college in England"

The way I understand them I assume I meet those requirement and therefore I am eligible for the Home fee and Postgraduate Loan.
I am only unsure about the second point "you've normally lived" I think it applied to people who were full-time students, but I'm unsure whether or not it only refers to people who were in full-time employment or other out-of-education activities.

Based on all in this messege my question is:
Would I qualify for Postgraduate Loan and Home fee or would I need to be a pre-settled migrant worker to qualify?
Original post by f.a.drake
Hi!

I'd like to inquire about Postgraduate Loan and Home fee status for postgraduate study.

I am an EU national holding pre-settled status - I can apply for settled status in October 2025. I have been studying full-time in the UK for the past 2 years and during that, I've been working part-time with some breaks for 1.5 years. Before that, I resided in the EU. By the time the MA course starts, I'll be living in the UK for 2 years and 11 months.

Does this fit the requirement for pre-settled holders to apply for Postgraduate Loan outlined on the government website quoted below:

"If you’re an EU national or a family member of an EU national
You may be eligible if you’re an EU national, or a family member of an EU national, and all the following apply:

- you have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
- you’ve normally lived in the UK, the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland or overseas territories for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’)
- you’ll be studying at a university or college in England"

The way I understand them I assume I meet those requirement and therefore I am eligible for the Home fee and Postgraduate Loan.
I am only unsure about the second point "you've normally lived" I think it applied to people who were full-time students, but I'm unsure whether or not it only refers to people who were in full-time employment or other out-of-education activities.

Based on all in this messege my question is:
Would I qualify for Postgraduate Loan and Home fee or would I need to be a pre-settled migrant worker to qualify?

Hi there,

Based on your details, you would be eligible to apply for the loan as an EU national with Pre settled status. When considering the second point, 'normally lived' means where you would call home, so if you have lived in the EU and UK during this time you would meet this eligibility criteria.

Hope this helps!
Thanks, Tina

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending