The Student Room Group

Studying Medicine without chemistry?

hi! at the beginning of year 12 I took Biology, Chemistry and Psychology with hopes to apply for medicine. However, I dropped Chemistry within the first 2 weeks as I wasn’t enjoying the lessons and just knew that I would be able to get a good grade in this subject. There I thought my dreams of applying for medicine are not achievable now. However, after doing some research I discovered that 10 med schools in the UK require Biology OR Chemistry and then accept Psychology as a second science.

Should I still pursue medicine or am I still very much disadvantaged? I haven’t really come across anyone who got into medicine with just Biology and Psychology hence why I’m here for some advice :smile: Sorry if this is just a lot of waffle!
Original post by shanice m
hi! at the beginning of year 12 I took Biology, Chemistry and Psychology with hopes to apply for medicine. However, I dropped Chemistry within the first 2 weeks as I wasn’t enjoying the lessons and just knew that I would be able to get a good grade in this subject. There I thought my dreams of applying for medicine are not achievable now. However, after doing some research I discovered that 10 med schools in the UK require Biology OR Chemistry and then accept Psychology as a second science.

Should I still pursue medicine or am I still very much disadvantaged? I haven’t really come across anyone who got into medicine with just Biology and Psychology hence why I’m here for some advice :smile: Sorry if this is just a lot of waffle!

The requirements are the requirements - there is no hidden requirements.

Are you taking a third A level instead of Chem now? It’s not impossible at all to apply to med school without Chem. But it is likely to be very difficult indeed (if not impossible) to do so with only two A levels.
Reply 3
Original post by George&Mary44!
Are you taking a third A level instead of Chem now? It’s not impossible at all to apply to med school without Chem. But it is likely to be very difficult indeed (if not impossible) to do so with only two A levels.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I swapped Chem for Sociology
Oh yeah I forgot to mention I swapped Chem for Sociology

That makes a big difference. Three A levels without chem is absolutely doable. But, no chem will reduce your choices as will BMAT or your UCAT score so you may not have such a broad sweep of options so will need to be strategic. It is good that you have Psy as that is welcomed as a science in a few places. Aim is to get as good grades as you can.
Reply 5

Like everyone has mentioned, yes you absolutely do stand a chance at getting into medical school without A level chemistry. However, it is important to note that there is chemistry within the course. If you only took 2 weeks to drop chemistry at A level, what's going to be different when you're studying the chemistry related parts of medicine? Something to think about perhaps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending