The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Streatham Campus

I know it's surrounded by a heck of a lot of greenery, but I've spotted some very grim looking concrete buildings.

What's most of the architecture like?

I'm currently deciding which campus to appy to, (for English) and here are my thoughts so far:
Cornwall
Wonderful modern new buildings
Better chance of acceptance
Only 2000 students create close knit atmos
BUT
Maybe a little too isolated
No creative writing offered in course

Exeter
Closer to lovely town
Creative writing in course
More students, bigger... 'buzz'
BUT
Architecture/buildings look nicer in Cornwall
Very competitive, will struggle to get AAA even though predicted

Sorry for Bridget Jones style abrv. writing. :smile:

Help?
Reply 1
Why not apply to both?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
lmcorr
Why not apply to both?

I could, and then I'd have to decide whether to knock of Birmingham or Edinburgh.

Thoughts?
Reply 3
Depends how much time you have to decide, and really how much you'd like to come here.

Have you visited Exeter yet? Really it depends on how much you'd really like to be here. For me, the moment I got here I knew this is the only place I wanted to be :smile:

But if you know really you'd prefer Birmingham or Edinburgh over Exeter then I wouldn't use 2 of your choices.

What are your predicted grades? Unfortunately, English at Exeter is one of the most applied for courses, they won't even consider you without an A in English at A Level alone, and I think the typical offer is AAA they get that many applications. Something to bear in mind.

The good thing about the Cornwall Campus is that you get a University of Exeter degree, for the kudos is pretty good, and get to be in Cornwall :biggrin:

But then once again it depends what you want from uni. Some people prefer cities, some people prefer towns, some people prefer the smaller, more close knit places.

It all depends what you want from the next chapter of your life!
Reply 4
Fran Katzenjammer
I know it's surrounded by a heck of a lot of greenery, but I've spotted some very grim looking concrete buildings.

What's most of the architecture like?

I'm currently deciding which campus to appy to, (for English) and here are my thoughts so far:
Cornwall
Wonderful modern new buildings
Better chance of acceptance
Only 2000 students create close knit atmos
BUT
Maybe a little too isolated

No creative writing offered in course

Exeter
Closer to lovely town
Creative writing in course
More students, bigger... 'buzz'
BUT
Architecture/buildings look nicer in Cornwall
Very competitive, will struggle to get AAA even though predicted

Sorry for Bridget Jones style abrv. writing. :smile:

Help?

Don't forget theres also UCF students on the same campus, so theres alot more people that you may have thought.
Theres easy & cheap transport links into Falmouth (50p bus & with a shared taxi works out about the same), I worried about it being isolated too, but really don't - theres alot going on in Falmouth and Penryn - the campus never really feels that isolated, you can get easily to Truro for shopping / more variety and the train journey away from cornwall does take a fair while but is quite easy really. Also theres the added plus side of being so near to the beaches for surfing etc. :smile:
Also if you really like the campus / place then i think UCF do an english with creative writing course.
Reply 5
The main campus is a lot nicer when you are in it. I've not seen any pictures that do it justice really. The buildings are post-redbrick (so they do not have the grand, deep-red, Victorian designs) but they are pre-plate glass (so they are not 1960s horrid things like Bath and York). The university is 1950s so the buildings are very much of the same ilk as the city centre. To be honest, given how many universities we have in the UK, there are very few that look as appealing as Exeter. Also, the main campus has brand new buildings like Cornwall anyway, and will have a few more in the future.
Reply 6
There are some lovely new buildings at Exeter. Once you're actually here you can appreciate it more. The campus is pretty extensive and rambles off into botanical gardens at some points. Its really very pretty
Reply 7
Smem
There are some lovely new buildings at Exeter. Once you're actually here you can appreciate it more. The campus is pretty extensive and rambles off into botanical gardens at some points. Its really very pretty

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/newsinnovcentre2.shtml?icid=E120-5288360-075M

Etc etc.

Though I must admit, this looks hideous from the picture.
Reply 8
None of the pictures I've seen on the Exeter website do it justice...they just don't look like the campus at all....
I'd pick main campus by a mile. It's bigger, you get more of the uni buzz here and Cornwall Campus is simply too isolated..

Latest

Trending

Trending