The Student Room Group

Francophone folk music - French a level work

For my homework I am supposed to research a type of francophone folk music however when I search them up I get different results - please could someone give me some examples of styles of francophone folk music, as I'm a bit lost!! Thank you
Original post by user93_
For my homework I am supposed to research a type of francophone folk music however when I search them up I get different results - please could someone give me some examples of styles of francophone folk music, as I'm a bit lost!! Thank you

Francophone folk music - that is such a wide topic, no wonder you're lost!

First define "folk music" - are you going to limit yourself to the 20th and 21st centuries? Or do you want to go right back to medieval times? Because "folk" music has always been with us in some form or another and there is a huge amount to say about it in each century since the Middle Ages.

Then look at Francophone - you don't have to limit yourself to continental France; you could also look at other French-speaking European countries (Belgium, Switzerland...) or you could go travelling out to Canada, for example, or the DOM-TOM.

You then need to decide if you are going to stick to the really traditional songs which are handed down the generations and are gradually adapted over the years (Au clair de la lune; Ah vous dirai-je Maman; À la claire fontaine... - Nana Mouskouri recorded a wonderful album of these in the 1970s or early 1980s) or if you are going to look at la chanson française by people such as Georges Brassens, Charles Aznavoir, Charles Trenet, Henri Salvador, Adamo, Jacques Brel...

There is a wealth of stuff out there so I suggest you set your own limits and then start looking up stuff on the internet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending