The Student Room Group

For people who do English Lit and/or Geography at A-Level

Hi everyone,

I’m currently thinking about my A-level options and I am set on doing English Lit and Geography but I’m still unsure about my third option. It would be really helpful to hear what subjects you are doing alongside the two subjects I have mentioned, so I can get a idea about subject combinations for A-levels, but also career plans you may have in mind.

Career-wise, I’m still undecided on what I think would suit me, but I’ve considered English, law, journalism, PR, marketing, advertising…

Thank you!
Reply 1
Hi, I’m an A Level student currently taking English Lit, Law, History and Psychology (which I nearly chose Geography instead of). I’m looking to do Law at degree level/in my career. In terms of your combinations, I would say look for:

a) Things you enjoy
b) Things you are good at
c) What your career path requires

So if you’re looking into an English, Law, Journalism etc. career, it’s probably helpful to be doing another essay subject alongside English and Geography, such as Philosophy, History, Sociology etc. as such degree courses often say they like these sorts of academic subjects - but maybe look around at different unis to see if they specify any particularly favourable subjects. Ultimately though, the combination is up to what you think you can reasonably do and what you like doing.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
i do english lit, geography, maths and physics which i know is a unusual combination but it’s good for a variety
I do Biology, Geography and Religious Studies which isn't a particularly standard combination however I picked my A-levels purely from how much I enjoyed the subjects at GCSE which I wouldn't recommend if you have a particular career in mind. A lot of people who do Geography also do Biology and they do have a lot of links and RS is a completely different skill set to the either Biology or Geography.
Original post by laura_blues
Hi everyone,

I’m currently thinking about my A-level options and I am set on doing English Lit and Geography but I’m still unsure about my third option. It would be really helpful to hear what subjects you are doing alongside the two subjects I have mentioned, so I can get a idea about subject combinations for A-levels, but also career plans you may have in mind.

Career-wise, I’m still undecided on what I think would suit me, but I’ve considered English, law, journalism, PR, marketing, advertising…

Thank you!

I did sociology and absolutely loved it.
Have you considered doing a foreign language? I did German alongside English literature (no geography though).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by penguingirl18
Have you considered doing a foreign language? I did German alongside English literature (no geography though).

I have but I did Latin for GCSE and even though I enjoyed it, I don’t see myself doing it for A-Levels. I plan to pick up on Spanish again in my free time though. Moreover, I speak Romanian fluently so I guess I can mention that in my personal statement and CV?
Original post by Emma:-)
I did sociology and absolutely loved it.

I’ve really considered doing it, or psychology!
Original post by izzyx24
i do english lit, geography, maths and physics which i know is a unusual combination but it’s good for a variety

It’s a great combination! Thank you for sharing!
I have but I did Latin for GCSE and even though I enjoyed it, I don’t see myself doing it for A-Levels. I plan to pick up on Spanish again in my free time though. Moreover, I speak Romanian fluently so I guess I can mention that in my personal statement and CV?

Definitely on your CV. Whether it would fit into your personal statement might depend on what subject you're applying for and how your fluency affected your supercurriculars. Maybe you could put it in your personal statement anyway as an extracurricular?
I’ve really considered doing it, or psychology!

Ive never done psychology so i cant really comment on that. But i can deffo recommend sociology
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi everyone,

Thank you!

Hi,

I did English Literature, Law and Religious Studies at A-Level and loved them, they complimented each other really well! If your school offers Law as an A-Level I would really recommend it (particualrly as you are considering a career in Law), it helps you to really develop your critical thinking, arguing and essay writing skills whilst gaining a rounded knowledge of criminal, tort and contract law.

If you have any questions about studying English at university (I am a third year English student), or have any questions about university in general, please do ask and I'll be happy to answer them as best I can!

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
Reply 12
I personally started off with English Language, Politics and Maths for a variety; however I felt like it was a bit jarring having two essay subjects and then maths. None of the things I learnt were very transferrable into the other subjects. I swapped Maths for English Literature, and it really helped; half of the stuff from Language strengthened my essays in Literature, and I could apply Politics to the contextual parts of my essays. Variety is better if you don't know what you want to do at uni, but I can't really say I recommend it.

You sound like you have some idea, though - I would recommend Law, Sociology, Politics, and other subjects along those lines.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lelkat
I personally started off with English Language, Politics and Maths for a variety; however I felt like it was a bit jarring having two essay subjects and then maths. None of the things I learnt were very transferrable into the other subjects. I swapped Maths for English Literature, and it really helped; half of the stuff from Language strengthened my essays in Literature, and I could apply Politics to the contextual parts of my essays. Variety is better if you don't know what you want to do at uni, but I can't really say I recommend it.

Just for contrasting opinion, I did English, German and Physics and enjoyed the variety. I think it would have been a bit tiresome for me to only have essay subjects.
Reply 14
Original post by penguingirl18
Just for contrasting opinion, I did English, German and Physics and enjoyed the variety. I think it would have been a bit tiresome for me to only have essay subjects.

Yeah, I definitely think it depends on what kind of person you are.
Hi everyone,

Thank you!

yo I do English and I'm in Y13 predicted an A. I can't lie, English can get boring, but others in my class seem to enjoy it. The good thing about it is it proves yourself to be an articulate and well-rounded individual. For any of the above career choices you have mentioned I would highly recommend an A Level in one or two of Economics, Politics, History, Classics or Philosophy. All of these will compliment English Lit nicely! In addition, Economics or Politics will tie in well with Geography. However, the beautiful thing about all these potential 3rd A levels is that, tied with your English Lit and Geography, they will prepare you well for a career in any of those you mentioned. They help your logical and argumentative skills, as well as your creativity with words, should that make sense lol. Philosophy will allow you to think abstractly and form logical points, helping with English and Law. Law tends to encourage an interest in current affairs, which is aided by Economics and Politics, and History and Classics are just interesting essay-based subjects lol (the fact that they're essay-based will help anyway)
hope that helps!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Al_the_Pal
yo I do English and I'm in Y13 predicted an A. I can't lie, English can get boring, but others in my class seem to enjoy it. The good thing about it is it proves yourself to be an articulate and well-rounded individual. For any of the above career choices you have mentioned I would highly recommend an A Level in one or two of Economics, Politics, History, Classics or Philosophy. All of these will compliment English Lit nicely! In addition, Economics or Politics will tie in well with Geography. However, the beautiful thing about all these potential 3rd A levels is that, tied with your English Lit and Geography, they will prepare you well for a career in any of those you mentioned. They help your logical and argumentative skills, as well as your creativity with words, should that make sense lol. Philosophy will allow you to think abstractly and form logical points, helping with English and Law. Law tends to encourage an interest in current affairs, which is aided by Economics and Politics, and History and Classics are just interesting essay-based subjects lol (the fact that they're essay-based will help anyway)
hope that helps!

Thank you for your advice, it’s really insightful!

Quick Reply

Latest