The Student Room Group

Taking a break

Hello what advice would you give when you’ve taken a break in your relationship with your partner.
Reply 1
Don't believe in them. 'Break' is most of the word 'break-up'. Either your relationship is strong enough that you work through issues together, or you finish it. Why the middle ground?
Original post by Surnia
Don't believe in them. 'Break' is most of the word 'break-up'. Either your relationship is strong enough that you work through issues together, or you finish it. Why the middle ground?

Yeah that’s what we are trying to do all those misunderstandings and small arguments we are trying to turn them into things whereby it won’t occur again and how we would react and approach to it.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah that’s what we are trying to do all those misunderstandings and small arguments we are trying to turn them into things whereby it won’t occur again and how we would react and approach to it.

Then why do you have to put the relationship on hold if you're discussing the issues? Talking about it at a distance isn't the same as being together and learning how to resolve any problems as they arise.
Original post by Surnia
Then why do you have to put the relationship on hold if you're discussing the issues? Talking about it at a distance isn't the same as being together and learning how to resolve any problems as they arise.

That’s the approach me and my partner took otherwise we wouldn’t have tried and we’d go our separate ways
Prepare to calmly breakup.
Get ready to collect all your belongings from each other's properties or take all your stuff if you will be moving out .
Then move forward with no further contact for at least 2 years, assuming no joint commitments for a property or pet.
Good luck!
Original post by londonmyst
Prepare to calmly breakup.
Get ready to collect all your belongings from each other's properties or take all your stuff if you will be moving out .
Then move forward with no further contact for at least 2 years, assuming no joint commitments for a property or pet.
Good luck!

We don’t want to break-up we just taking a break but we want to make our relationship work I’m not married to her but she’s my girlfriend
Reply 7
That’s the approach me and my partner took otherwise we wouldn’t have tried and we’d go our separate ways

Why wouldn't either of you have tried? That comes over as neither of you are really invested in the relationship enough to sort out the problems. It's like people who split up and then try to rekindle things saying "I've changed"; you don't know that unless you actually see them in the situations to which they reacted poorly and see if things are different.
Original post by Surnia
Why wouldn't either of you have tried? That comes over as neither of you are really invested in the relationship enough to sort out the problems. It's like people who split up and then try to rekindle things saying "I've changed"; you don't know that unless you actually see them in the situations to which they reacted poorly and see if things are different.

So after our argument we didn’t speak for about 4 or so hours but messages were exchanged there onwards and we both want to try
Reply 9
So after our argument we didn’t speak for about 4 or so hours but messages were exchanged there onwards and we both want to try

Messages? If you can't see each other face-to-face you pick up the phone and talk. But you have to learn to disagree rather than argue.
Original post by Surnia
Messages? If you can't see each other face-to-face you pick up the phone and talk. But you have to learn to disagree rather than argue.

Yeah I see her when we both are at uni. Only a couple of times a week for a hour and a half or two .
Yeah I see her when we both are at uni. Only a couple of times a week for a hour and a half or two .

She's your girlfriend; don't you meet up in an evening or spend a weekend together? You must have some private space.
Original post by Surnia
She's your girlfriend; don't you meet up in an evening or spend a weekend together? You must have some private space.

Unfortunately her parents are strict and now that it’s a change of season we hardly can spend more time together compared to the summer.
Unfortunately her parents are strict and now that it’s a change of season we hardly can spend more time together compared to the summer.

The second part makes no sense...
Original post by Surnia
The second part makes no sense...

Because it’s winter time days become darker reduced hours compared to how long and late we could stay to come home in the summer.
Because it’s winter time days become darker reduced hours compared to how long and late we could stay to come home in the summer.

It shouldn't make any difference. You are adults and can stay out after dark. Go to a cafe or something.
Original post by Surnia
It shouldn't make any difference. You are adults and can stay out after dark. Go to a cafe or something.

I wish we could unfortunately her parents are strict
I wish we could unfortunately her parents are strict

Adult enough to be in a relationship, but can't stay out when it's dark? You need to sort something out between you.
What’s your thoughts to this when she says to you she doesn’t associate herself to anyone and keeps distant away from people yet she has the time to spend time with closest friends/best friends yet doesn’t to her other half is that good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending