Turn on thread page Beta

So, If You're Applying Post A-level... watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good idea to apply to all universities that ask for the grades you have?

For example, say someone ends up with AAB at A-level and then applies for university. Is applying for five places that want AAB risky, since you don't have an insurance? But surely you don't really need an insurance, because you've already got the grades? And if you've got AAB, I'm assuming applying for AAA universities is a stupid idea? If you apply to a university that wants ABB, but you've already got better grades than that, do you have a better chance of getting in, or is it entirely subjective?

Lots of questions there, but I'd appreciate any answers. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Meeting the grade requirements doesn't necessarily equal acceptance so it's probably a good idea to apply to one ABB in case the rest of your application is weak or the course you're applying for is very competitive.

As for the AAA, it's probably best to contact the university before applying to find out if they will automatically reject you on the basis of grades or if they'll take the rest of your application into account.

ReputationRep:
    I am applying post-A-level, but I still picked a mixture of courses... It's always risky applying for courses that all have high entry requirements...

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: Bored wrote basically what I was going to write. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by βored)
    Meeting the grade requirements doesn't necessarily equal acceptance so it's probably a good idea to apply to one ABB in case the rest of your application is weak or the course you're applying for is very competitive.

As for the AAA, it's probably best to contact the university before applying to find out if they will automatically reject you on the basis of grades or if they'll take the rest of your application into account.
    Ah, okay, I see. So keep a balance nonetheless.

Okay, thanks for the advice, guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SylverStrike)
    Is it a good idea to apply to all universities that ask for the grades you have?

For example, say someone ends up with AAB at A-level and then applies for university. Is applying for five places that want AAB risky, since you don't have an insurance?
    Basically what the people above have said, because the course you're planning on applying to is one of the most popular (and thus competitive) degrees, it's probably safer to apply to a couple of Uni's that have slightly lower entry requirements than your grades, just in case.

But surely you don't really need an insurance, because you've already got the grades?
    If you have already met the entry requirements with your A level grades and get an unconditional offer from your first choice, UCAS doesn't let you secure an insurance anyway (because there's no chance you'll lose your place.) However, like people on here have said even if you meet the grades you could still get rejected.

And if you've got AAB, I'm assuming applying for AAA universities is a stupid idea?
    Yes, you would get an automatic rejection because you would not have met the entry requirements.

If you apply to a university that wants ABB, but you've already got better grades than that, do you have a better chance of getting in, or is it entirely subjective?
    Speaking from experience, yes in a way you do have a better chance of getting in than those who say only just meet the requirements, but it's not all on the grades. If a candidate say had lower grades than you (but still met the requirements) but had a better personal statement or amazing work experience or something, you could say they had a better chance. But to be honest you have an advantage in that if you do get an offer it will be unconditional, for pre-A level applicants, there is always the risk that they will lose their place by not attaining the grades they need.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiceWeatherForAirstrikes)
    Basically what the people above have said, because the course you're planning on applying to is one of the most popular (and thus competitive) degrees, it's probably safer to apply to a couple of Uni's that have slightly lower entry requirements than your grades, just in case.

If you have already met the entry requirements with your A level grades and get an unconditional offer from your first choice, UCAS doesn't let you secure an insurance anyway (because there's no chance you'll lose your place.) However, like people on here have said even if you meet the grades you could still get rejected.

Yes, you would get an automatic rejection because you would not have met the entry requirements.

Speaking from experience, yes in a way you do have a better chance of getting in than those who say only just meet the requirements, but it's not all on the grades. If a candidate say had lower grades than you (but still met the requirements) but had a better personal statement or amazing work experience or something, you could say they had a better chance. But to be honest you have an advantage in that if you do get an offer it will be unconditional, for pre-A level applicants, there is always the risk that they will lose their place by not attaining the grades they need.

Hope this helps
    Eep, why didn't you tell me you'd got your conditionals already! YAAAY! *hugs*

Sort of ironic how City hasn't replied yet, since that's the one you didn't like, right? Heh. Well, at least you don't have to worry about next year then! Have you chosen which one out of the two you're going to make your firm?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers! and Winch as my firm, Kingston as my insurance. Yeah i know, **** you London City! lol but yeah i don't really care because even if i get an offer from them i'm just going to decline it anyway. The only reason i haven't withdrawn my application from them is because i'm curious as to whether they will give me an offer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiceWeatherForAirstrikes)
    Cheers! and Winch as my firm, Kingston as my insurance. Yeah i know, **** you London City! lol but yeah i don't really care because even if i get an offer from them i'm just going to decline it anyway. The only reason i haven't withdrawn my application from them is because i'm curious as to whether they will give me an offer...
    I'd love it if they gave you an AAA offer, just because. And then you'd be like, 'erm, no spank you'. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Haha i'd be like BYE! Nah they wouldn't though because they can't. The offer is BBC from both which is the normal entry requirement for the course, plus Kingston (randomly) asked that one of the B's is in English, which should be ok I think .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.