The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan for PhD student who is ESPRC funded but does not receive mainten

Hi,
I was wondering whether it is possible to receive maintenance loan for a PhD student who is ESPRC funded but does not receive maintenance loan anymore? I've changed to part time and my maintenance loan for ESPRC has finished (for some reason the costs weren't spread accordingly). If I can't request it through student finance what are other alternatives?
Original post by Cdxxx
Hi,
I was wondering whether it is possible to receive maintenance loan for a PhD student who is ESPRC funded but does not receive maintenance loan anymore? I've changed to part time and my maintenance loan for ESPRC has finished (for some reason the costs weren't spread accordingly). If I can't request it through student finance what are other alternatives?

Hi there,
There currently isn't a designated maintenance loan for postgraduate students. Eligible students registered on an eligible course can apply for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan which is defined as a contribution towards the total cost of the qualification. Students in receipt of this can use the loan to pay course costs and/or living costs as required.

Do you already have a doctoral loan from SFE in place?

Thanks, Tina
Reply 2
Thank you so much Tina. I do have a postgraduate loan from ESPRC that has been spread out once I've changed to part time. But they didn't spread it out for my maintenance loan - so it has stopped being paid now (the maintenance loan). I was wondering if student finance could help on this situation .
Reply 3
Original post by Tina Oliver SLC
Hi there,
There currently isn't a designated maintenance loan for postgraduate students. Eligible students registered on an eligible course can apply for a Postgraduate Doctoral Loan which is defined as a contribution towards the total cost of the qualification. Students in receipt of this can use the loan to pay course costs and/or living costs as required.

Do you already have a doctoral loan from SFE in place?

Thanks, Tina

Thank you so much Tina. I do have a postgraduate loan from ESPRC that has been spread out once I've changed to part time. But they didn't spread it out for my maintenance loan - so it has stopped being paid now (the maintenance loan). I was wondering if student finance could help on this situation .
Original post by Cdxxx

Hi there,
In some cases student's can be eligible for the postgraduate loan whilst receiving funding from another source. However if a student is in receipt of any of the below funding, they will be ineligible to apply for the loan.

Research Council (RC) studentships, stipends, scholarships and tuition fee support
Social work bursary
Educational Psychology Bursary and their course starts on or after 1st August 2020
NHS bursary
National Institute for Health Research bursary

Hope this helps.
Tina
Original post by Cdxxx

Is that a loan or a studentship/stipend? They are very different.
Original post by Tina Oliver SLC
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
This may include both loan and bursary type funding however I can only provide general information here. Eligibility can only be fully confirmed once an application has been submitted and reviewed by our team.
If you'd like to apply you can do so online, or by paper and include a copy of your funding award details for our eligibility team to review for you.
For more specific details you can also speak with your university finance team, or our postgraduate loans team on 0300 100 0031.

Thanks, Tina

Hi, I was responding to the previous poster on the thread so they can provide clarity :smile:

I am not the original poster and am not looking for advice myself.
Original post by artful_lounger
Hi, I was responding to the previous poster on the thread so they can provide clarity :smile:

I am not the original poster and am not looking for advice myself.

Many thanks,
I quoted your post in error.

Quick Reply

Latest