The Student Room Group

gift for a british person?

I’m looking for a gift for my British teacher and the first thing that came to my mind was tea :smile:
I’m Vietnamese so we do have a tea culture here but I don’t know what he likes. Lotus tea? Green tea?
Also are you guys actually picky in choosing tea or as long as it’s tea you would probably enjoy it? Should I buy some types of traditional Vietnamese sweets to eat with tea too?
Original post by anan0405
I’m looking for a gift for my British teacher and the first thing that came to my mind was tea :smile:
I’m Vietnamese so we do have a tea culture here but I don’t know what he likes. Lotus tea? Green tea?
Also are you guys actually picky in choosing tea or as long as it’s tea you would probably enjoy it? Should I buy some types of traditional Vietnamese sweets to eat with tea too?

Why the specific mention of british? You could give him chocolates and card,or a mug that says number 1 teacher or smth. If you want a specific British tea, PG tips is imo is the way to go. British people are quite diverse but I wouldsay bog standard tea is, well, the standard, altho you could give him different types of teas for him to try, a nice gesture overall!
Yorkshire tea ftw

it's tea so good that it makes Boromir go crazy

Actually it might be worth finding out if they're a tea person or not - cos not everyone is
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Bunny
Why the specific mention of british? You could give him chocolates and card,or a mug that says number 1 teacher or smth. If you want a specific British tea, PG tips is imo is the way to go. British people are quite diverse but I wouldsay bog standard tea is, well, the standard, altho you could give him different types of teas for him to try, a nice gesture overall!

because of cultural differences and british people seem to love tea :/? i mean if he wasn’t british i wouldn’t choose tea as a gift.
I want to give him local tea to try not a british band, I want to ask if people tend to like lotus tea green tea black tea etc or is there a specific type of tea that you like.
British people are not a monolithic entity and will like different things and lots of people don't even like tea. But generally, black tea is consumed most often. I don't think tea is generally given as a gift either but it's still a nice idea ig.

pukka tea has nice gift sets of loads of lovely herbal tea flavours in beautiful packaging? or you said you wanted to give him local tea? with some Vietnamese sweets I think that would be nice :smile:
something vietnamese would be appropriate.

something like this perhaps:

www.etsy.com/uk/listing/949990311/vintage-vietnamese-tribal-handwoven?gpla=1&gao=1
because of cultural differences and british people seem to love tea :/? i mean if he wasn’t british i wouldn’t choose tea as a gift.
I want to give him local tea to try not a british band, I want to ask if people tend to like lotus tea green tea black tea etc or is there a specific type of tea that you like.

Some british people like green tea but it's a minority taste - I don't think I've ever had a lotus green tea but I've had Chinese type green tea and having grown up on the black tea (black is what people in the british isles think is standard tea) I thought it tasted weak and disappointing. Unless you can find out that the teacher already likes Vietnamese lotus it's not safe to say you're british -> you like tea -> you'll like this particular type of tea that you're not used to.

but I think the local sweets are a nice idea - or some craft thing you made yourself :unsure:
Reply 7
Original post by Joinedup
Some british people like green tea but it's a minority taste - I don't think I've ever had a lotus green tea but I've had Chinese type green tea and having grown up on the black tea (black is what people in the british isles think is standard tea) I thought it tasted weak and disappointing. Unless you can find out that the teacher already likes Vietnamese lotus it's not safe to say you're british -> you like tea -> you'll like this particular type of tea that you're not used to.

but I think the local sweets are a nice idea - or some craft thing you made yourself :unsure:

yeah i know aha but we joked about this once and he actually said he loves tea
Moved to life and style
Reply 9

I think vietnamese sweets would be lovely! tea can be bought anywhere but to give something from your culture would be a really personal and unique gift from you
Gift card!!
I'd love if someone bought me a cafetiere because mine broke, if someone bought me tea, I'd just end up giving it away. I'd whether or not they even like tea first.

It's a lovely idea don't get me wrong!!
And if he is a tea lover then get him a variety as well as some sweets from your culture, even if he doesn't like the taste of the teas themselves he will definitely be touched by the gesture :")

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending