The Student Room Group

Studying

I have no idea how to study, I’m an S4 pupil in Glasgow and I have no idea how to study can some1 give me some tips👍😄
what subjects are you doing?
Reply 2
Original post by bigplongus
what subjects are you doing?

N5:

Computer science
history
English
woodwork
physics

N4:
maths
Original post by Arcanas
N5:

Computer science
history
English
woodwork
physics

N4:
maths

From experience from GCSE so I don't know if this will help?

History: Flashcard of key historical events, Mind maps (Create mind maps of time period/event from memory and check them against an answer sheet you've made) and practise questions either made by you or past papers or ask you teacher for some.

English: Write quotes on flashcards, cycle through them, any you get right place them in one pile any you get wrong place in another, then take a break the go through the pile you got wrong, then re do the whole pile. Write mock essay for yourself, you don't have to rely on past papers cause usually you can see a pattern in past papers (To the type of questions asked then create your own), get your teacher to mark them.

Physics: get an overview of all the topic you've covered, ranked them from what you know well to what you don't know well. Focus on the ones your bad at, if its the knowledge your bad at then summaries the information from textbooks, notes, yt videos etc. revise this, it can be through flashcards (which in physics didn't help me) or what I did is write out "knowledge questions" just questions on the subject for me to answer. Then do practise questions.

Maths: I would advice just doing practise questions straight away, anything you stuck on, you can search through a textbook, online, YouTube, ask a teacher for help to solve it, or use the answer to reverse engineer a question or use trial and error but I wouldn't advice it cause its easy to cheat yourself into thinking you know what you're doing when you don't.

These were the only subjects that I did that you also do, I have no idea about woodwork or CS cause I don't know anyone who did them.

TL;DR Understand the Topic, revise the topic knowledge this can be through flashcards, knowledge questions you made for yourself or constructing a mind map from memory then put it into practise with practise/exam questions that you can make yourself, get from exam papers or ask your teacher for them, except maths were its easier to do practise questions and when you get stuck try find the answer with your textbook, youtube, teacher, online etc.
Reply 4
Original post by bigplongus
From experience from GCSE so I don't know if this will help?

History: Flashcard of key historical events, Mind maps (Create mind maps of time period/event from memory and check them against an answer sheet you've made) and practise questions either made by you or past papers or ask you teacher for some.

English: Write quotes on flashcards, cycle through them, any you get right place them in one pile any you get wrong place in another, then take a break the go through the pile you got wrong, then re do the whole pile. Write mock essay for yourself, you don't have to rely on past papers cause usually you can see a pattern in past papers (To the type of questions asked then create your own), get your teacher to mark them.

Physics: get an overview of all the topic you've covered, ranked them from what you know well to what you don't know well. Focus on the ones your bad at, if its the knowledge your bad at then summaries the information from textbooks, notes, yt videos etc. revise this, it can be through flashcards (which in physics didn't help me) or what I did is write out "knowledge questions" just questions on the subject for me to answer. Then do practise questions.

Maths: I would advice just doing practise questions straight away, anything you stuck on, you can search through a textbook, online, YouTube, ask a teacher for help to solve it, or use the answer to reverse engineer a question or use trial and error but I wouldn't advice it cause its easy to cheat yourself into thinking you know what you're doing when you don't.

These were the only subjects that I did that you also do, I have no idea about woodwork or CS cause I don't know anyone who did them.

TL;DR Understand the Topic, revise the topic knowledge this can be through flashcards, knowledge questions you made for yourself or constructing a mind map from memory then put it into practise with practise/exam questions that you can make yourself, get from exam papers or ask your teacher for them, except maths were its easier to do practise questions and when you get stuck try find the answer with your textbook, youtube, teacher, online etc.

Thanks so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending