The Student Room Group

Choosing English Literature/Language for A levels

Hiya,
I'm currently in year 11 and applying for sixth forms and colleges. I'm not quite sure about my subject choices for A levels.
English seems to be one of my strong suits. I'm not sure if I'm that great. But I've been considering English for my A levels.
Should I choose Literature or Language or both? I know that Literature entails analysing plays and books (techniques, ref to reader, mood/atmosphere) while Language is about analysing the language.

Please advise

Thanks
Hi , I'm a year 12 who has recently started studying English Language and I absolutely love it. For me I find that there are several subject areas combined into lang e.g sociology, media ect.

Also for the NEA(coursework) there is the option between crafting a creative writing text or non-fiction/opinion piece. I believe that being opinionated/openminded is also great for this as it enables you to explore other intentions behind the text - advert,article,social media post ect..
English lit is very similar to GCSE except for more texts whereas lang a-level is so interesting as topics such as gender,social class,occupation,accents are all explored
Original post by Freya.G
Hi , I'm a year 12 who has recently started studying English Language and I absolutely love it. For me I find that there are several subject areas combined into lang e.g sociology, media ect.

Also for the NEA(coursework) there is the option between crafting a creative writing text or non-fiction/opinion piece. I believe that being opinionated/openminded is also great for this as it enables you to explore other intentions behind the text - advert,article,social media post ect..
English lit is very similar to GCSE except for more texts whereas lang a-level is so interesting as topics such as gender,social class,occupation,accents are all explored

Thanks a lot @Freya.G :h:
I was leaning on language, my teacher said my creative writing is quite good. I also do sociology, which I love, so I think I'll choose language
(edited 1 year ago)
Glad I could help, good luck with your studies :smile:I did sociology GCSE and I believe it has really helped, most of the main concepts overlap too.
Original post by Freya.G
Glad I could help, good luck with your studies :smile:I did sociology GCSE and I believe it has really helped, most of the main concepts overlap too.

Thanks!:u:
Reply 5
I did English Lit at A-Level and really enjoyed it. From what I know Language is more about the actual structure of a book or poem but this also happens in lit as well. When I was doing English lit, it was mainly analysing text e.g. historical context, ways in which language is used to convey certain tones. You do cover structure as well for example we did some Shakespeare (Much Ado About Nothing) and Marlowe (Dr Faustus) you mainly study prose with them and with poetry you also do structure, mainly rhythm stuff.

If you like reading and are ok with reading a full book often then English Lit will be good, honestly was my favourite A-Level.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by LaFoll
I did English Lit at A-Level and really enjoyed it. From what I know Language is more about the actual structure of a book or poem but this also happens in lit as well. When I was doing English lit, it was mainly analysing text e.g. historical context, ways in which language is used to convey certain tones. You do cover structure as well for example we did some Shakespeare (Much Ado About Nothing) and Marlowe (Dr Faustus) you mainly study prose with them and with poetry you also do structure, mainly rhythm stuff.

If you like reading and are ok with reading a full book often then English Lit will be good, honestly was my favourite A-Level.

Thanks for your reply! I read a lot of books and I enjoy it. But I've heard Lit is a lot of work
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending