Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me what a provisional licence is and do i need one before i can learn how to drive.

THanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    you need one, and its useful as ID

ReputationRep:
    It consists of a green photocard and a paper counterpart. You need one before you can either learn to drive or take your theory test.

ReputationRep:
    Yep,you need one to learn......and yh,it can be used as ID.However,you can't actually drive on your own until you have the full one...I think...

ReputationRep:
    what the first two said.

EDIT: First three!

ReputationRep:
    how old do you need to be to get one?

ReputationRep:
    ^I think your 17th birthday must be nearing.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahsiina)
    how old do you need to be to get one?
    16 years old and 9 months

ReputationRep:
    i heard as soon as ur 16 ? hmm..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random321)
    Ohhh ryt thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random321)
    Think I am right in saying it won't be valid until you are 17 though....so you can apply and get it all ready for a driving lesson on your 17th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    Think I am right in saying it won't be valid until you are 17 though....so you can apply and get it all ready for a driving lesson on your 17th
    yea you're right

ReputationRep:
    I think you can apply 2 months before your 17th birthday.

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for it 3 months before your 17th, but you can't use it until you're 17 (unless you have practice on private land, but that's another matter). You can't drive unless you have your provisional license. Once you pass your test you can basically throw it away as it gets replaced by the full license. Also, as far as I know until you've passed your test you can only drive if someone who's had their license for over 3 years, I think it is, is with you. Not sure what the exact regulations for that are though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple-girl)
    You can apply for it 3 months before your 17th, but you can't use it until you're 17 (unless you have practice on private land, but that's another matter). You can't drive unless you have your provisional license. Once you pass your test you can basically throw it away as it gets replaced by the full license. Also, as far as I know until you've passed your test you can only drive if someone who's had their license for over 3 years, I think it is, is with you. Not sure what the exact regulations for that are though.
    Yeah you just need to display L-plates and have insurance as well as that.

ReputationRep:
    Actually you can get one before you're 16 as it allows you to learn to drive a scooter as well. And you just ask for an application from your local post office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple-girl)
    you exchange it for a full licence when you pass your test, either the examiner takes it or you send it off in the post.

the person supervising you has to be over 21 as well as having had a full licence for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i got my provisional when i was 16...but it said it was valid from my 17th Bday, should soon be a full license(cant wait!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahsiina)
    i heard as soon as ur 16 ? hmm..
    I thought it was too because you can ride 50cc scooters from 16, and you need a provisional license to take your CBT.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.