The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Oh I definitely think uni's worth it. Just think about the uni life! 3 years of fun and the cheapest debt you'll ever go into.
Reply 2
vidachick
Oh I definitely think uni's worth it. Just think about the uni life! 3 years of fun and the cheapest debt you'll ever go into.

Well thats kinda the issue - I don't want to end up £30,000 in debt (loans, more loans, more loans!!) for just "fun". I can have fun where I am!
Reply 3
Hmm. I completely messed up my time at Uni and anything I come out of it won't be worth much (if anything) in the job market... and I still don't regret my decision to come to Uni. The late Uni year / years (if you do 4) can drag a bit but the first 2 are amazing. I'd not have missed it for the world. Even if it hadn't been so great, I just know, had I not come, I'd have been wondering about it for the rest of my life. Basically if you have the chance to go... go. Then at least, you'll not spend your life wondering if you should have or not. Any alternatives you could get into now, you can still get into after Uni. The reverse is not so true. Being a mature student isn't the same experience - it's something you have to do young.
Reply 4
You sound like me last year. I applied to uni, got offers, but by the end of the process was so cut up about what to do I took a gap year. Declined my offers, withdrew my app. Best thing I ever did :biggrin:

Besides, you still get to go to uni. Just after a year of amazing experiences.
Reply 5
Well....as long as you study for your degree, it WILL serve you in the future, will make starting your career a whole lot easier, plus the load of experiences you gain from university, from some of the most fascinating practical aspects of your subject, to one of your mates running down drunk along the corridor wearing nothing but a small towel, will stick with you for the rest of your life.

Besides, do you really wanna go through your life thinking..."what if I went to uni":wink: :wink:
Reply 6
Perhaps you should take a gap year and reapply next year? However, if you are simply worried about whether your degree will be worth anything, speak to an independant careers advisors (I'm sure they have services like this at job centres e.t.c. I know we do at our local one) and they can advise you. However I would never call a degree 'useless' even if you only use it to fast track yourself into a higher ranked position, e.g. a management job, as opposed to going into something related to your subject. A degree can save you the hassle of having to start at the bottom and work your way up and you can have fun whilst doing it especially if you have a genuine interest in the subject you wish to study.
Reply 7
If your not sure my advice would be to wait and take a gap year. I am just dropping out of uni because I feel I've rushed into and am not ready, also I feel I'm on the wrong course. I applied to do Law and had doubts when I recieved my offers as to whether it was really for me. People encouraged me to go for it and I listened. Now I'm leaving and I feel so much better. I'm going back next year to study something I am truely interested in. Basically, dont rush into anything.

Latest

Trending

Trending