The Student Room Group

A-level humanities combo?

Hi everyone,

I’m currently in Year 11 and am considering my A-level options. I want to do English Literature, Geography and History, and I am thinking of becoming a solicitor or doing something related to writing. However, I am unsure if this combination would be ‘too much’ in terms of content given they are all essay-based subjects. Don’t get me wrong; I understand A-levels are a level higher than GCSEs in terms of work and difficulty, and you must be willing to put your head down and study harder (likewise with law), but I‘m just wondering how manageable these subjects would be together in order to obtain straight As.

I am slightly unsure about History since I’m quite neutral towards the subject itself, though it would come in handy for law. I know I want to do Geography and English Literature, but I’m not sure what other subject/s to pick for my options if I would drop History.

I’ve never really been a maths or a science fan, so I would opt for essay-based subjects, though I’ve considered doing psychology, but I’m not sure it would be as great to do a soft subject instead of a more traditional subject.

I’d really appreciate some advice, tips or personal experiences because I’ve been pondering about this for quite a while and I’m still unsure/ confused. Thank you.
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm in Y13 doing English, History, Latin and Greek - so not exactly your combination, but a similarly essay-based combination.

I've found it great as they're my favourite subjects, and I think if you had a real passion for all three then you'd be perfectly willing to put in the time writing the essays. However, you say you're 'neutral' about History, and to be honest I wouldn't advise you study it if that's the case. It's definitely the most work of all my subjects, and the perseverance you have to have to continually improve your essay technique can only really be found through genuine enthusiasm.

Also, all three have coursework. My friend is doing Geography coursework right now, and I'm doing History coursework, and I couldn't imagine doing both simultaneously, though this obviously depends on when your school chooses to put this segment within the 2 year span.

If you're interested in Psychology, more so than History, that sounds like it could be a good option. You've got two 'traditionally rigorous' subjects with lots of essay-writing (i.e. good for law) to give you a bit of a boost in a uni application, so if it appeals for you I'd say go for it (to clarify: I'm not saying it's a 'softer' subject in reality, but sometimes people, and sometimes unis, view it that way).
How to Choose 6th Form Subjects - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects

Btw, Law at Uni does not require any specific A level subjects, just 3 high grades.
Original post by mandyelicup
I'm in Y13 doing English, History, Latin and Greek - so not exactly your combination, but a similarly essay-based combination.

I've found it great as they're my favourite subjects, and I think if you had a real passion for all three then you'd be perfectly willing to put in the time writing the essays. However, you say you're 'neutral' about History, and to be honest I wouldn't advise you study it if that's the case. It's definitely the most work of all my subjects, and the perseverance you have to have to continually improve your essay technique can only really be found through genuine enthusiasm.

Also, all three have coursework. My friend is doing Geography coursework right now, and I'm doing History coursework, and I couldn't imagine doing both simultaneously, though this obviously depends on when your school chooses to put this segment within the 2 year span.

If you're interested in Psychology, more so than History, that sounds like it could be a good option. You've got two 'traditionally rigorous' subjects with lots of essay-writing (i.e. good for law) to give you a bit of a boost in a uni application, so if it appeals for you I'd say go for it (to clarify: I'm not saying it's a 'softer' subject in reality, but sometimes people, and sometimes unis, view it that way).

Thank you, I appreciate your advice, also if you don’t mind me asking, what uni course are you thinking to do?

Quick Reply

Latest