Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Mathematics G100 course Watch

• View Poll Results: Which uni in the UK has the strongest maths department outside Oxbridge?
    Imperial
    42.31%
    Warwick
    42.31%
    Other (mention in thread)
    15.38%

ReputationRep:
    This may be a stupid question but how does this course vary from university to university?

I'm applying to a few UK universities for this course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelafleming)
    This may be a stupid question but how does this course vary from university to university?

I'm applying to a few UK universities for this course.
    What exactly do you want to hear ? Some are more flexible than others, some are more difficult than others, some start with easier topics (revision of A-level stuff etc), some will hit you full force from the first day.

Generally, the best idea would be to look up the course structure and modules on the individual departments' websites.

ReputationRep:
    Not totally an expert in this...but I'm thinking some are more theoretical than others, and some are more applied.
    I guess its mostly down to how each university chooses to teach the course which is different...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    What exactly do you want to hear ? Some are more flexible than others, some are more difficult than others, some start with easier topics (revision of A-level stuff etc), some will hit you full force from the first day.

Generally, the best idea would be to look up the course structure and modules on the individual departments' websites.
    I want to know if the course content is the same irrespective of your university.

ReputationRep:
    No - many Univerities will go over or strat further maths tpoics, as many won't have covered them. They will also take topics more slowly. However, even though they will be doing the same topics, they certainly won't do them in as much detail.

Cambridge and Warwick have a very similar maths course - both are top.

This is followed by Oxford - there is a noticeable gap.

Then a very big gap to Imperial, UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hancock orbital)
    No - many Univerities will go over or strat further maths tpoics, as many won't have covered them. They will also take topics more slowly. However, even though they will be doing the same topics, they certainly won't do them in as much detail.

Then a very big gap to Imperial, UCL.
    Which brings me to my next question: List the top 4 unis in the UK for maths in rank order.

Edit: Warwick is ranked only 69 here.

ReputationRep:
    There is no objective rank of universities.

ReputationRep:
    I want to know if the course content is the same irrespective of your university.
    Well, why would it be?

ReputationRep:
    Which brings me to my next question: List the top 4 unis in the UK for maths in rank order.

That was a search for top universities. It had no order for maths. Trust me - I have seen the content from both Warwick and Cambridge - very similar. Oxford is alittle lower, and you then have Imperial.

You cannot quote Uni league tables when you haven't even asked for the ranking to be related to a subject - i.e. maths.

ReputationRep:

Okay, troll?

1. If you want to decide based on league tables, why do you ask on here? Warwick's maths course is definitely a very good one (obviously I have no first-hand experience, but I did some research on it when I applied, and I have friends going there).
    2. The link you posted is the world ranking, which is even more unreliable than the UK one and not subject-specific either. If you restrict that list to UK universities, Warwick is still ranked in the top 10.

ReputationRep:
    That was a search for top universities. It had no order for maths. Trust me - I have seen the content from both Warwick and Cambridge - very similar. Oxford is alittle lower, and you then have Imperial.

You cannot quote Uni league tables when you haven't even asked for the ranking to be related to a subject - i.e. maths.
    Try this list, then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Okay, troll?
    Sorry, no troll. Just a student applying to unis other than Cambridge for safety.

ReputationRep:
    Try this list, then.
    There dosen't seem to be anything wrong in terms of United Kingdome unis - cannot comment on US ones though.

I fail to realise your point.

ReputationRep:
    Try this list, then.
    You obviously do not have the faintest idea what you're talking about (hint: consider what these rankings are based on), yet it seems that you don't actually need any help because you think you know it better? Well, fine then, apply to Harvard, MIT and Princeton. I would agree with the ranking that they're good places to go to.

ReputationRep:
    There dosen't seem to be anything wrong in terms of United Kingdome unis - cannot comment on US ones though.

I fail to realise your point.
    Point is that even when I narrowed the rankings down to NatSci, Imperial remains much better than Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Point is that even when I narrowed the rankings down to NatSci, Imperial remains much better than Warwick.
    Because Imperial is better than Warwick for NS. Warwick is better than Imperial for Maths. Do you understand how rankings work?

ReputationRep:
    Because Imperial is better than Warwick for NS. Warwick is better than Imperial for Maths. Do you understand how rankings work?
    No, but isn't mathematics a natural science?

ReputationRep:

Then a very big gap to Imperial
    , UCL.
    not sure, I would think that the maths course at Imperial would be on par with the one at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    No, but isn't mathematics a natural science?
    No, and before you start quoting rankings, it might be prudent to learn how they work (or don't)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gobbledygook88)
    Not totally an expert in this...but I'm thinking some are more theoretical than others, and some are more applied.
    I guess its mostly down to how each university chooses to teach the course which is different...
    Off-topic: I noticed you already have an offer from Warwick, when did you apply?

On-topic: So Warwick's Maths course is more challenging than Oxford's?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.