Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Mathematics G100 course Watch

• View Poll Results: Which uni in the UK has the strongest maths department outside Oxbridge?
    Imperial
    42.31%
    Warwick
    42.31%
    Other (mention in thread)
    15.38%

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe nobody's said LSE yet?????? Surely it's gotta be one of the top ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotty01292)
    Can't believe nobody's said LSE yet?????? Surely it's gotta be one of the top ones?
    I don't think they offer pure mathematics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelafleming)
    How so? I'm just as good at maths as any top A level student (if not better!).
    At the risk of turning this thread into a speculative thread titled "Why was I rejected by Cambridge"...

Do your grades reflect that you're as good as any top A-level student? Do you meet their minimum requirements (they probably have some dodgy stuff for internationals)?

Even if so, I think Cambridge interviews fewer international students than it does home students and they probably have good reasons for that. It has nothing to do with you being Indian though, but rather that you're an international student, which is my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)

One more thing; if you're going to apply then do it soon. At a UCL open day last week, the admissions tutor said he's already given out 500 offers. A lot of Imperial offers have gone out (not sure about numbers) and some Warwick ones have as well.

NO WAY! i have got an offer yet! i got a letter inviting me to an open day stating i wouldn't need to be interviewed, i thought they have a policy of meeting all students before giving an offer (thats what my letter said) and the first open day i can attend is in February D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaoslord)
    NO WAY! i have got an offer yet! i got a letter inviting me to an open day stating i wouldn't need to be interviewed, i thought they have a policy of meeting all students before giving an offer (thats what my letter said) and the first open day i can attend is in February D:
    If you're talking about UCL then everyone who turns up to the open day gets made an offer. So being invited to one is equivalent and included in my 500 offers count. You'd either have to reject the open day or insult the admissions tutor + lecturer and admit who you are to them after doing it for you to get rejected now.

ReputationRep:
    Even if so, I think Cambridge interviews fewer international students than it does home students and they probably have good reasons for that. It has nothing to do with you being Indian though, but rather that you're an international student, which is my point.
    Does that explain how tons of international students (excluding me) have already received optional interview calls?

ReputationRep:
    Does that explain how tons of international students (excluding me) have received interview calls?
    Have you requested feedback?

ReputationRep:
    That seems wise - at least you will know what was wrong with your app

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge: The reason for this decision is that competition in your subject was particularly fierce this year (we in fact had an all-time record number of applications) and your ranking on paper was not high enough for you to be included on our shortlist for interview. A final decision on your application will be made in late December/early January.

Any advice on what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuka)
    That seems wise - at least you will know what was wrong with your app
    Just did. See previous post.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge: The reason for this decision is that competition in your subject was particularly fierce this year (we in fact had an all-time record number of applications) and your ranking on paper was not high enough for you to be included on our shortlist for interview. A final decision on your application will be made in late December/early January.

Any advice on what I should do?
    Are your grades high? Should you be considering the top universities on the basis of your grades? Not saying that you're not good enough or anything but you have to realise the admissions tutors won't know you personally.

And a warning; universities browse TSR (I'm fairly certain someone from the maths department of Cambridge does).

ReputationRep:
    Are your grades high? Should you be considering the top universities on the basis of your grades? Not saying that you're not good enough or anything but you have to realise the admissions tutors won't know you personally.
    My grades are high but they are in Indian exams which are "insufficient for Cambridge". I'll be writing A levels only in June 2009.

ReputationRep:
    And a warning; universities browse TSR (I'm fairly certain someone from the maths department of Cambridge does).
    Your point?

ReputationRep:
    IMPERIAL, UCL AND WARWICK ARE GREAT FOR MATHS.. however for maths at imperial you need to get an A at each of the 12 modules in Further Maths and they do not do STEP
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My grades are high but they are in Indian exams which are "insufficient for Cambridge". I'll be writing A levels only in June 2009.
    Aha, I was wondering whether that was you. In which case they probably just rejected you because if they don't 'accept' Indian qualifications that suggests that they don't know what kind of grades would be expected from it and so can't really use it to distinguish candidates. If you don't have any form of A-levels then they have absolutely no way to tell whether you are any good and so presumably had to reject you in place of people who they knew had done well.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're only 17 (or have recently turned 18 - i.e. will be 18 in September) and you don't get in anywhere you want then perhaps you can take a gap year and reapply? That's what I did and so far I've got offers from UCL and Imperial (and no rejections). You may as well apply everywhere you want (does it cost more to apply to more than 1 place?) and not live in regret.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're only 17 (or have recently turned 18 - i.e. will be 18 in September) and you don't get in anywhere you want then perhaps you can take a gap year and reapply? That's what I did and so far I've got offers from UCL and Imperial (and no rejections). You may as well apply everywhere you want (does it cost more to apply to more than 1 place?) and not live in regret.
    Costs £10 to apply to 1 university, and £17 for multiple universities (up to 5 in total), I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist1)
    Costs £10 to apply to 1 university, and £17 for multiple universities (up to 5 in total), I think.
    So far I've applied:
    University of Cambridge
    Imperial College London
    University College London (University of London)
    The University of Warwick

Any suggestions for choice 5?

ReputationRep:
    Bath, Nottingham or Manchester if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Leicester or Durham? Don't know really

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.