The Student Room Group

applying to university

hello ! so i just have a few questions about applying to uni as im in year 13, i hope these aren't silly questions and i hope they won't take too long to answer !

1. first of all, how does finance & funding work? (are there any useful websites / videos that i can look at) and when should we be worrying about this
2. relating back to question 1, how do we know what to pick for the finance & funding section on the ucas website?
3. when looking at courses, there's usually an option for either BSc or MSci, could someone explain the advantages of these and if one is necessarily better than the other for biochemistry?
4. i want to apply for biochemistry, so when specifically doing a biochemistry degree, is it better to do a masters after / apply to a course within a year in industry? would that be more advantageous in terms of job prospects?
5. how do i pick out which unis to apply for, because im stuck on which ones to choose at the moment, is there a method that could help me decide or any research i should be doing in particular
6. my predicted grades are AAB, so i would be looking at university entry requirements with those grades, but i feel like it's risky to apply to unis with all AAB requirements, what would a safer entry requirement be? should i apply for 2 AAB, 2 ABB and 1 BBB?

i want to be 100% certain before applying, so i wanted to just ask on here first

thank you ! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by uaryrius
1. first of all, how does finance & funding work? (are there any useful websites / videos that i can look at) and when should we be worrying about this
2. relating back to question 1, how do we know what to pick for the finance & funding section on the ucas website?
3. when looking at courses, there's usually an option for either BSc or MSci, could someone explain the advantages of these and if one is necessarily better than the other?
4. i want to apply for biochemistry, so when specifically doing a biochemistry degree, is it better to do a masters after / apply to a course within a year in industry? would that be more advantageous in terms of job prospects?
5. how do i pick out which unis to apply for, because im stuck on which ones to choose at the moment, is there a method that could help me decide or any research i should be doing in particular
6. my predicted grades are AAB, so i would be looking at university entry requirements with those grades, but i feel like it's risky to apply to unis with all AAB requirements, what would a safer entry requirement be? should i apply for 2 AAB, 2 ABB and 1 BBB?

you need to google a lot of these

1. you apply for funding on sfe's website assuming you're english. don't start looking until spring
2. just put funded by sfe. you can change it to something else if you get scholarship funding or parents money later
3. bsc is an undergraduate degree. msci is usually a postgraduate degree you can't do until you have your bsc. we can't tell you without knowing what you're talking about
4. doing a masters after is typically seen as slightly more prestigious. years in industry are also highly recommended as good experience
5. look at league tables for graduate prospects and or course/research/teaching quality and or student satisfaction and compare with what you want (location, course offering, etc)
6. you could apply for AAA, 2xAAB, ABB and BBB depending on your risk preferences
Original post by HoldThisL
3. bsc is an undergraduate degree. msci is usually a postgraduate degree you can't do until you have your bsc. we can't tell you without knowing what you're talking about

clarifying this

msci could be a masters degree lasting about 1 year. or it could be an undergraduate degree lasting about 4 year (so including the 3 years for bsc)

not sure though. maybe msci is always a 4 year degree
Original post by HoldThisL
you need to google a lot of these

1. you apply for funding on sfe's website assuming you're english. don't start looking until spring
2. just put funded by sfe. you can change it to something else if you get scholarship funding or parents money later
4. doing a masters after is typically seen as slightly more prestigious. years in industry are also highly recommended as good experience
5. look at league tables for graduate prospects and or course/research/teaching quality and or student satisfaction and compare with what you want (location, course offering, etc)
6. you could apply for AAA, 2xAAB, ABB and BBB depending on your risk preferences

yes okay, thank you so much ! i will be googling all this anyway, but i just wanted to get a general gist of all the answers on here, so thank you for answering !
Do a placement year - it adds enormous value to your graduate CV.
Having 'relevant work experience' immediately puts you above all those who 'just did a degree'.

Bath - https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/5-reasons-to-study-biosciences-at-bath/
Sheffield - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2023/biochemistry-industrial-placement-year-bsc
Birmingham - https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/biosciences/biochemistry-placement.aspx
etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending