The Student Room Group

Can i get UCAS points for half a L3 year

I took a full year in music performance which was meant to be a two year course. Unfortunately it was closed down after the finals of 2022 due to a lack of students for the next year. I was graded a merit. I'm in an access to HE music technology course now and my tutor explained that I might be able to still get half the UCAS points for completing one year. Is this true?
Original post by Esmermer
I took a full year in music performance which was meant to be a two year course. Unfortunately it was closed down after the finals of 2022 due to a lack of students for the next year. I was graded a merit. I'm in an access to HE music technology course now and my tutor explained that I might be able to still get half the UCAS points for completing one year. Is this true?

What was the name of the course you were taking? Was it literally just called "music performance"? What was the exam board? Were the exams you took at the end of the first year internal exams, or external exams? Did they result in an official qualification of any kind?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What was the name of the course you were taking? Was it literally just called "music performance"? What was the exam board? Were the exams you took at the end of the first year internal exams, or external exams? Did they result in an official qualification of any kind?

Sorry for not being quite so specific. It was an AQA course called “Diploma in Music Performance” and it didn’t have exams. It was portfolio based. No I didn’t receive a paper, the grade was uploaded in a feedback chart on my student portal.
Sorry for not being quite so specific. It was an AQA course called “Diploma in Music Performance” and it didn’t have exams. It was portfolio based. No I didn’t receive a paper, the grade was uploaded in a feedback chart on my student portal.

Understood. I was hoping to be able to do some research to help answer your question, but I can't find any indication that AQA offer a course entitled (or even similar to) "Diploma in Music Performance" (see their list of subjects here, with those classifies as music here; their list of qualifications is here).

Similarly, the Register of Regulated Qualifications (managed by Ofqual), here, lists only one Level 3 "Diploma in Music Performance" qualification, but that's an old qualification previously offered by ABRSM. (Other providers offer similarly named qualifications: "Diploma in Music Performance & Production", for example).

I'm therefore unable to help answer your question. Sorry.
Reply 4
Understood. I was hoping to be able to do some research to help answer your question, but I can't find any indication that AQA offer a course entitled (or even similar to) "Diploma in Music Performance" (see their list of subjects here, with those classifies as music here; their list of qualifications is here).

Similarly, the Register of Regulated Qualifications (managed by Ofqual), here, lists only one Level 3 "Diploma in Music Performance" qualification, but that's an old qualification previously offered by ABRSM. (Other providers offer similarly named qualifications: "Diploma in Music Performance & Production", for example).

How strange that there are no results! If necessary, I could dm you one of my old assignment briefs? Thank you so much for the effort though, just for a stranger. I really appreciate that.
Reply 5
Also, I was told that the year before was held by BTEC so it might have actually been run by them, actually.
Reply 6

Yep. Looking at it, it's run by BTEC, UAL. AQA is my current one.... Sorry!
Also, I was told that the year before was held by BTEC so it might have actually been run by them, actually.

This is going to be impossible for anyone to answer if you dont have the correct information. Btecs are run by Perason not Aqa. Get more information from your school then contact the corrrect body. Many courses involving arts like UAL are often not acceptable for anything other than that subject. Sometimes people describe things as BTECs but they are not the same thing. Usually when you apply with an access course the university wouldnt accept other qualifications. Any offer made is based on your credits and requires set amounts of distinction and merits. Ask the university you are thinking of attending for their advice.

Unfortunately, until you can work out exactly what you were studying, no one is going to be able to provide accurate help. Colleges don't help here - they are often very vague about the exact name and nature of the courses which they teach.

BTEC is a brand of owned by Pearson/Edexcel. There are an enormous number of different BTEC qualifications, but only two in Music Performance:

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate in Music Performance
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Music Performance

You will note that neither of these include the text "diploma" in the title, whilst your post #3 says that the course was "Diploma in Music Performance".

There are BTEC Diplomas in Music, but not Music Performance.

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Music
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Music

My guess is that what you were actually studying for was a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Music Performance.

BTEC courses are modular. For example, the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate in Music Performance is comprised of two units, whilst the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Music Performance is comprised of four units. The mandatory unit (Ensemble Music Performance) in the Certificate is also mandatory in the Extended Certificate, and both have the same range of optional units, of which you must select one in each case. (The Extended Certificate also has two mandatory units not included in the Certificate.)

So, if you took the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Music Performance, and if you completed Unit 3, Ensemble Music Performance, and if you also completed one of the optional units then you'll have fulfilled the necessary requirements of the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate in Music Performance, even though you were taking the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Music Performance.

This scenario is covered in the specification, here, which says, "Learners who do not achieve sufficient points for a qualification or who do not achieve all the required units may be eligible to achieve a smaller qualification in the same suite provided they have completed and achieved the correct combination of units and met the appropriate qualification grade points threshold."

The Extended Certificate is worth one A level; whilst the Certificate is worth half an A level. The associated UCAS points obviously vary by grade; a Merit in the Extended Certificate gets you 32 points, whilst a Merit in the Certificate gets you 16 points - i.e. half.
Reply 10
Unfortunately, until you can work out exactly what you were studying, no one is going to be able to provide accurate help. Colleges don't help here - they are often very vague about the exact name and nature of the courses which they teach.

BTEC is a brand of owned by Pearson/Edexcel. There are an enormous number of different BTEC qualifications, but only two in Music Performance:

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate in Music Performance
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Music Performance

You will note that neither of these include the text "diploma" in the title, whilst your post #3 says that the course was "Diploma in Music Performance".

There are BTEC Diplomas in Music, but not Music Performance.

Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Music
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Music

My guess is that what you were actually studying for was a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Music Performance.

BTEC courses are modular. For example, the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate in Music Performance is comprised of two units, whilst the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Music Performance is comprised of four units. The mandatory unit (Ensemble Music Performance) in the Certificate is also mandatory in the Extended Certificate, and both have the same range of optional units, of which you must select one in each case. (The Extended Certificate also has two mandatory units not included in the Certificate.)

So, if you took the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Music Performance, and if you completed Unit 3, Ensemble Music Performance, and if you also completed one of the optional units then you'll have fulfilled the necessary requirements of the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Certificate in Music Performance, even though you were taking the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Music Performance.

This scenario is covered in the specification, here, which says, "Learners who do not achieve sufficient points for a qualification or who do not achieve all the required units may be eligible to achieve a smaller qualification in the same suite provided they have completed and achieved the correct combination of units and met the appropriate qualification grade points threshold."

The Extended Certificate is worth one A level; whilst the Certificate is worth half an A level. The associated UCAS points obviously vary by grade; a Merit in the Extended Certificate gets you 32 points, whilst a Merit in the Certificate gets you 16 points - i.e. half.

Honestly cannot thank you enough for your help. That's so much commitment for a random forum. I don't believe it's that though? There was no ensemble nor optional units. Turns out, I'm 98% sure it's this one.
https://www.arts.ac.uk/partnerships/ual-awarding-body/qualifications/music/level-3-diploma-and-extended-diploma-in-music-performance-and-production
Really hoping that since I took one year in the extended course, it might equate to taking the full single diploma? 60 extra UCAS points would be so much weight off my chest for the rest of the academic year.
Honestly cannot thank you enough for your help. That's so much commitment for a random forum. I don't believe it's that though? There was no ensemble nor optional units. Turns out, I'm 98% sure it's this one.
https://www.arts.ac.uk/partnerships/ual-awarding-body/qualifications/music/level-3-diploma-and-extended-diploma-in-music-performance-and-production
Really hoping that since I took one year in the extended course, it might equate to taking the full single diploma? 60 extra UCAS points would be so much weight off my chest for the rest of the academic year.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out of this thread.

First your course was simply "music performance", then it was "an AQA course called “Diploma in Music Performance”", then it was "held by BTEC", then "run by BTEC, UAL", and now it's a "UAL Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Music Performance and Production" - and even that you're not 100% sure about. :frown:

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to assist in your quest.
In all honesty you need to go back to the school/college where it was to be awarded for more clarity.

Quick Reply

Latest