The Student Room Group

English literature a-level help

Hi, I'm currently studying English literature at a level and I'm struggling with the subject. My weakest points are definitely my NEA and the poetry. Any help would be appreciated!!! :smile:
Same doing AQA
Reply 2
Original post by Ambergris
It would be helpful if we knew exam board/syllabus option.

Your poetry books...
What specifically is the issues with poetry you find difficult?
Your theme and NEA books...
What specifically is the issue with the NEA?/url]

I'm doing edexcel
For poetry, I do keats and the poems of the decade anthology.

With poetry I always find it difficult to understand the meaning and what effects are caused by poetic techniques. For example, I am able to spot enjambment but I struggle with analysing its effect.
I also lack with my vocabulary in my essays.

For my NEA, I am doing the Bell jar and great gastby. I'm struggling to form a question but my theme is gender roles.
The main issue for my NEA is structuring it and forming a question.
I have asked another student helps you because the they got 15/15 for their NEA. I think they did another board. We are at different stages though we are doing the same board we are doing different syllabuses. I am doing A level in a year and probably won't catch up in terms of theory until mid December.

Lets see...

Still last night and early morning I search around for you. Just hope you are the right person. I had more than one person to respond so in future will do one at a time.

I noted that Edexcel poetry questions are a comparative exam board to pick a feature that is common to both poems and describe how author X does something in relation to Y. The syllabus is important, and so are past paper questions and moderators' reports.

Make sure you read all the coursebooks

Course Exemplar

John Keats: Selected Poems by John Keats
Keats Selected Poems: John Keats, editor John Barnard and the poems of the decade anthology.

Selected Poems of John Keats: York Notes Advanced: everything you need to catch up, study and prepare for 2021 assessments and 2022 exams by Glennis Byron

John Keats: Selected Poems by John Keats (FULL Audiobook)

John Keats free to public Audiobook

1. Difficulty in understanding meaning and what effects are caused by poetic techniques.

For example, I am able to spot enjambment but I struggle with analysing its effect.

I personally recommend looking through class notes, Google searches, Youtube, Textbooks, and Revision books to explain what is not clear to me Finally if all else fails approach your teacher but you won't learn it unless you thrash it out for a time(but not too long) yourself.

"Enjambment analysing its effect"

The effect speeds up the poem and slows it down... where is this happening pronoun, verb adjective, coordinating conjunction etc

Enjambment blink and you've miss the effects

1.Enjambment

2.Enjambment

Poems of the Decade Anthology: Context, Poem & Analysis!

In addition to the above access revision guidebooks.

Revise Literature Guide

Study and Revise Literature Guide for AS/A-level: Pearson Edexcel Poems of the Decade Paperback 2019
by Richard Vardy

Understanding Poems of the Decade for A Level Edexcel Poetry: Gavin's Guide to the 28 set poems for 2017 & 2018 students taking English Literature - straight to Year 13

Understanding Poems of the Decade for A/S Level Edexcel Poetry: Gavin's Guide to the 28 set poems for 2017 & 2018 students taking English Literature - straight to Year 12

A Poetry Handbook Paperback by Mary Oliver

A relatively useful link

Maybe Useful for other subjects

2. Also lack vocabulary in my essays.
1. Vocabulary
Example of poetry Analysis
2.Vocabruary

I have the same issue which is resolved by accessing the syllabus by writing and adapting a template standard essay that hit the points. Lists of objectives, the AO1, AO2, AO3...etc. I look at your syllabus moderator report and Exemplar.

NEA "Bell jar" and "Great Gatsby".

One can look up reviews on Youtube and record interesting linguistic features.
The Bell Jar
The Bell Jar free public Audio

Great Gatsby
Audio
Great Gatsby
Audio

1.I'm struggling to form a question but my theme is gender roles.
2.The main issue for my NEA is structuring it and forming a question.
3.I also lack with my vocabulary in my essays.

1. NEA Coursework help
Edexcel Course work help

2. Edexcel NEA
Coursework

I have not read either of the books but concocted a question of shorts... from these snippets.

*The Great Gatsby Fitzgerald writes about gender roles in a sort of conservative way. Through this novel, the men work to earn money for the women to spend on themselves. Men are very dominant over women, especially in the case of Tom. One chapter he exerts his physical strength to control Myrtle.

*In the 1920 's, women were gaining power through their sexuality, and feigning innocence in order to escape from the hold men had on them. They were able to use men's arrogance against them and gain female empowerment.

*1950s Esther inhabits a world of limited sexual choices. Convention dictates that she will remain a virgin until she marries. If she chooses to have sex before marriage, she risks pregnancy, displeasing her future husband, and ruining her own name.

Examples of google search
*The Bell Jar is acidic Satire

Discussion

*Very important proposed Titles for NEA scroll down to page 15

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/English%20Literature/2015/teaching-and-learning-materials/GCE-Getting-Started-Eng%20Lit-v.finalv.3.pdf
you might like to watch the film adaption of both books.
Finally
There are some study book reviews on the book you have or your teacher has selected.

Quick Reply

Latest