The Student Room Group

i want to discover new music

i listen to a lot of rap or rnb but want to expand a bit more and find new music to love - what are you listening to right now? any upcoming concerts you're going to?
my favourite bands right now are the snuts and red rum club - they do indie rock stuff if you're interested!
Reply 2
Original post by okayykayy
my favourite bands right now are the snuts and red rum club - they do indie rock stuff if you're interested!

i'll check them out. thanks!
Reply 3
Honestly depends what kind of music you want to get into but I listen to literally everything so I have a broad range so I'll recommend some.

Rock
Maneskin (triggering me I don't know how to put the a with the circle on the keyboard but yeah, also a lot of songs are in Italian so if that bothers you then maybe skip them)
The Pretty Reckless (Just started listening to them but a similar vibe)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers (They have a lot of variation in their style)

Rap
Doja Cat (Her back catalogue is great)
Megan Thee Stallion (I don't listen to her often but she has good songs from what I have listened to)
Ashniko (She is kind of in-between rock and rap in my opinion but I enjoy her music)

Metal
Slipknot (They are a classic)
In This Moment (Female fronted)

Kpop Girl Groups
Blackpink (very popular, good songs)
Mamamoo (Personally think they are underrated)
Red Velvet (How I got into Kpop)

Kpop Boy Groups
BTS (I mean they speak for themselves with their popularity)
Stray Kids (Really popular right now and their new music is very good)

Icons
David Bowie (Man is a chameleon and I have loved his music for years)

Pop
Taylor Swift (Honestly she has so many great songs, a lot of stuff that gets played on the radio doesn't showcase her talent)
Lana Del Rey (Another talented lyric writer NFR is a great album)

I haven't really recommended any obscure artists because I feel if you want to get into different styles then its better to listen to artists more at the top of the game of that genre to see if you like it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by damdam-lab
i listen to a lot of rap or rnb but want to expand a bit more and find new music to love - what are you listening to right now? any upcoming concerts you're going to?

Best singer ever= Shania Twain
Reply 5
death metal

I've recently started listening to Fujii Kaze who's a J-pop artist. He's my favourite artist atm!
Original post by BlueOrca
I've recently started listening to Fujii Kaze who's a J-pop artist. He's my favourite artist atm!

I was gonna recommend him too! Mr Kaze's songs are all bangers :smile:
If you are looking for some indie rock, then I would recommend Anna Calvi. If you want more alternative rock then I would recommend Muse or Royal Blood (Royal Blood makes a lot of noise for a band that only has two members).
here are some artists i've been listening to, coming from someone with an alternative music perspective: mgmt, lykke li, alexandra savior, crystal castles (if you like electronic), surf curse, interpol, bloc party & mazzy star :smile: I've also been listening to bjork a lot too at the moment, as well as t.rex and bowie. so a little different from rap music but they are artists/bands I definitely recommend.
Reply 10
"Nightwish", strictly pre-2005 (when Tarja was still there).
AJR and daisy the great

I like using these when I'm in the mood for new music :thumbsup: found loads this way :smile:
https://www.music-map.com/
https://www.gnoosic.com/faves.php
Lana del rey- born to die, young and beautiful & once upon a dream are great!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Idk131
Lana del rey- born to die, young and beautiful & once upon a dream are great!!

lana del rey is amazing! it's a shame that some of her best stuff is demos/unreleased though. :smile:
Okay so if you like shoegaze try out my bloody valentine and lsd and the search for god.
If u like rap and metal try out city morgue as they essentially created their own genre by mixing the two.
If you like acoustic guitar and chilled out vocals check out some of lowertown's suff
If you like rock ofc try out nirvana but also beach goons is good too
If u like rap try out loyle carner and soul chef
If u like super chilled out guitar then check out duster
An honourable mention is down for the count by nascar aloe
Try the Mars Volta.

Their discography is incredibly diverse and they've produced quite a few earworms over the years. They've also dabbled in most of the genres known to man, though jazz fusion seems to be their forte. The changing lineup also resulted in them sounding so fresh for so long.

They took a 10 year-long hiatus, though, which prompted many to think they were done for good.
Luckily, we were proven wrong :smile:
Reply 17
sentimental

Written by someone who obviously loves and has studied music, multi-genre.
(edited 1 year ago)
Since you like rap, look into what your favourite artists have sampled in their work. I'm an MF Doom fan, and he plays off some awesome samples. ZZ Hill, etc. Backtracking samples always leads you in cool directions.
Some stuff I've been listening to lately:
- Il Macquillage Lady
- Tens (Calmaria) - this one was sampled for Nujabes' Luv Sic pt 3. Good hexology.
- Tha Crossroads
- I Know You Know - brilliant bass work here. Jazz stuff.
- Fame - brilliant song for getting stuff done
- Only in Dreams - listened to this about a million times. Easily Weezer's best song, nothing comes close.
- Everlong
- Iris
- Prickle Eye Bush - this one's a bit silly. But worth checking out some folk stuff. Sometimes it's nice to listen to something with an accordion in.
- Rumble of The Diesel - Anything by Primus, really. Les Claypool's basslines are nuts. (Other good ones are Shake Hands With Beef, Golden Boy, Lee Van Cleef... Just enjoyable to listen to.)
- Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Best thing to do is listen to as much as you can from as many genres as possible, even if you don't think you'll like it.
I likje it this topic

Quick Reply

Latest