The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

target oxbridge phone interview

hi, i've just scheduled my target oxbridge interview and my first choice of course is hsps. i'm really nervous about it, especially the article part of it. any tips would be really appreciated!
Original post by humanitieslover3
hi, i've just scheduled my target oxbridge interview and my first choice of course is hsps. i'm really nervous about it, especially the article part of it. any tips would be really appreciated!

What do you mean, 'target oxbridge interview'

Same I just scheduled my interview for next week friday for economics 😭😭 i just hope it goes well
Original post by Reality Check
What do you mean, 'target oxbridge interview'

https://targetoxbridge.co.uk/ :smile:
Good luck with your interviews, everyone!

Reality, this is a special Oxbridge scheme for BAME students

Original post by Oxford Mum
Good luck with your interviews, everyone!

Reality, this is a special Oxbridge scheme for BAME students

Thanks both! :smile: What a great scheme!
Original post by Reality Check
Thanks both! :smile: What a great scheme!

Yes, I am a big fan and so, I am happy to say, are Oxbridge as well.

Original post by c_iwuagwu
Same I just scheduled my interview for next week friday for economics 😭😭 i just hope it goes well

Hi both!

I'm not familiar with the Target Oxbridge process and whether this is you doing an interview to get onto the programme, or whether it's a mock interview for potential interviews this December! Either way, as someone who used to run mock interviews for Oxbridge applicants and shove articles in their faces to analyse/discuss with me, here are some top tips from someone from The Other Place ( :ninja: ):

Think about key words
What? Why? When? How? Who? - all these words you'd underline in an essay title/question! Use these words to break down the key points/facts stemming from the article. Consider how a different who?/why? would make a difference to the article in question, e.g. for HSPS, if it's an article about the recent appointment of Rishi Sunak: HOW might things have been different if Boris Johnson (WHO) had stood against Rishi Sunak? Would we have a different Prime Minister right now? How would that affect economic policy? etc.

Talk the interviewer through your thought process(es)
Think aloud and guide the interviewer through how you are approaching and answering the question. Interviewers are more interested in HOW you think, than WHAT you know :yep: So getting the answer wrong matters less if you have a solid explanation for how you approached that answer and can demonstrate this verbally :yep:

Don't be afraid to ask for clarifications!
I think it's very easy to clam up/not understand something but fear that asking for further info/clarification would count against you. It's perfectly OK to ask for a certain amount of drip-fed info, if it helps you to build an argument.

Wishing you both the best of luck :biggrin:

TLG
(Oxford - aka superior uni - alumna)
I forgot one last piece of key advice: consider and be willing to articulate different/opposing points of view, whilst making your particular standpoint clear. Try to have an articulated opinion: if you really can't and need to sit on the fence between two standpoints, explain clearly why you are not falling on either side of the argument :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by c_iwuagwu

Hi ! I've got mine this Thursday- how is it. Do they challenge you?

Hey! I know it's been a while but I've just submitted my application for hsps and am wondering how the interview went/goes. Did you get in??

Latest