The Student Room Group

Psychology personal statement/uni advice

Hi, I am applying to study psychology at uni and was wondering if anyone had any tips as to what to include in my personal statement and any recommendations for universities that are good for psychology. Thank you! :smile:
Hiya! I don't know much about STEM statements :colondollar: but something important to consider is whether the uni courses you are looking at are BPS-accredited (my understanding is that not all Psychology courses are). This is important for future careers if you wish to work as a research or clinical psychologist, I believe :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Selena17
Thank you :smile:

No problem at all. For the personal statement, some generic advice would be to show wider interest/reading about psychology outside your school curriculum and demonstrate an awareness of topical issues in the field :smile:
Hi, I am applying to study psychology at uni and was wondering if anyone had any tips as to what to include in my personal statement and any recommendations for universities that are good for psychology. Thank you! :smile:

Hi there :smile:

Im in my final year of my Psychology degree at Kent so hoping I can give some advice. When writing my personal statement I made sure to include things that showed that I had explored my interest in psychology outside of Alevels. This included things like reading books that linked to psychology, doing some online taster courses and researching particular areas of interest. For example you could look through some unis course structures and talk about particular modules that interest you or that you are looking forward to studying (here is the the link to the one at Kent if you're interested - https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/49/psychology). Make sure to also link your other Alevel/Btecs to your chosen course so for example if you do coursework you could mention how its developed your organisation skills as you've had to manage deadlines or time management skills from writing essays. Essentially unis just want you to show that you are genuinely interested in the subject and not just writing cliche things like "I have always had an interest in psychology" because realistically you probably did not have an interest in psychology when you were 4 years old aha. Hope this helps a bit!

Let me know if you have any questions about uni or studying psych and I will be more than happy to answer them :u:
Best of luck

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Check out this guidance for a psych PS :smile: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6213912
Reply 6
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi there :smile:

Im in my final year of my Psychology degree at Kent so hoping I can give some advice. When writing my personal statement I made sure to include things that showed that I had explored my interest in psychology outside of Alevels. This included things like reading books that linked to psychology, doing some online taster courses and researching particular areas of interest. For example you could look through some unis course structures and talk about particular modules that interest you or that you are looking forward to studying (here is the the link to the one at Kent if you're interested - https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/49/psychology). Make sure to also link your other Alevel/Btecs to your chosen course so for example if you do coursework you could mention how its developed your organisation skills as you've had to manage deadlines or time management skills from writing essays. Essentially unis just want you to show that you are genuinely interested in the subject and not just writing cliche things like "I have always had an interest in psychology" because realistically you probably did not have an interest in psychology when you were 4 years old aha. Hope this helps a bit!

Let me know if you have any questions about uni or studying psych and I will be more than happy to answer them :u:
Best of luck

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Thank you so much!!!
The tips are very useful :smile:
I think the other hardest past is making the first line unique and catchy šŸ˜­
Thank you so much!!!
The tips are very useful :smile:
I think the other hardest past is making the first line unique and catchy šŸ˜­

No worries!
I completely agree, that was the part i struggled with too. I found the UCAS website helpful when I was writing my personal statement. They have some tips on how to start your PS here:
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/writing-your-personal-statement/how-start-personal-statement-attention-grabber
You may also find some samples online with examples of how to start your personal statement (although obviously try and avoid any plagiarism)

Good luck!

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending