The Student Room Group

gcse maths (specfically for higher and further) - any advice?

i have my first year 10 maths exam on the 6th dec which is kinda a big deal because it's a school exam in the hall and not an assessment you do in class
maths is DEFINITELY not my strongest subject and i actually don't know why my school picked me to do further?? but yea it's one of my weakest if not the weakest subject for me at school, any advice? i really want to get something good for this exam because again it's pretty important and i'm really seeing a difference in the difficulty in exams in year 10 than in year 9 (I was getting good results and not so much anymore)
I do practice questions and practice papers but i'm still not getting results im happy with and i'm also kinda feeling a bit of pressure since everyone in my class is really smart and i've got to be the dumbest in the class💀 so any revision tips for maths would be really helpful !
(if this is relevant the last questions in maths exams trick me up a lot)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ctrlm.
i have my first year 10 maths exam on the 6th dec which is kinda a big deal because it's a school exam in the hall and not an assessment you do in class
maths is DEFINITELY not my strongest subject and i actually don't know why my school picked me to do further?? but yea it's one of my weakest if not the weakest subject for me at school, any advice? i really want to get something good for this exam because again it's pretty important and i'm really seeing a difference in the difficulty in exams in year 10 than in year 9 (I was getting good results and not so much anymore)
I do practice questions and practice papers but i'm still not getting results im happy with and i'm also kinda feeling a bit of pressure since everyone in my class is really smart and i've got to be the dumbest in the class💀 so any revision tips for maths would be really helpful !

Drop out of Further - it's not worth it and is of limited use. Focus on your GCSE Maths as it's much more important to get 9s in a range of subjects.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Drop out of Further - it's not worth it and is of limited use. Focus on your GCSE Maths as it's much more important to get 9s in a range of subjects.

I've actually thought about this the first time I heard I was doing further since i never explicitly said i wanted to do it. I voluntarily picked triple science and i thought it would be the same for further like you're not forced to do it or anything. My maths teacher says that further is needed to be able to get 9s in gcse maths but i don't know if that's true or not🤷
I haven't even sat my first maths exam yet so i'm not sure if its a good idea to drop it so early in the year. I'd much rather see how this exam goes and if I do really bad (hopefully not) then i'll consider it. I should add that another reason i think i'm doing so bad in maths is also because of my teacher, it sounds like i'm using that as an excuse but my teacher last year was good at teaching unlike my teacher right now. Have you done further maths by or have you dropped it?
Original post by ctrlm.
I've actually thought about this the first time I heard I was doing further since i never explicitly said i wanted to do it. I voluntarily picked triple science and i thought it would be the same for further like you're not forced to do it or anything. My maths teacher says that further is needed to be able to get 9s in gcse maths but i don't know if that's true or not🤷
I haven't even sat my first maths exam yet so i'm not sure if its a good idea to drop it so early in the year. I'd much rather see how this exam goes and if I do really bad (hopefully not) then i'll consider it. I should add that another reason i think i'm doing so bad in maths is also because of my teacher, it sounds like i'm using that as an excuse but my teacher last year was good at teaching unlike my teacher right now. Have you done further maths by or have you dropped it?

I teach Maths and assure you that you do not need level 2 FMaths to get a grade 9 in Maths. I teach in a selective school, we don't offer level 2 FMaths - we prefer to teach the full GCSE spec and add on UKMT problems etc. We get lots of grade 9s and these students go on to get A* in A level Maths and Further Maths - we get students into Oxbridge every year.

Great resources for GCSE include Dr Frost and MathsMadeEasy - I'll post direct links if you cannot find them.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
I teach Maths and assure you that you do not need level 2 FMaths to get a grade 9 in Maths. I teach in a selective school, we don't offer level 2 FMaths - we prefer to teach the full GCSE spec and add on UKMT problems etc. We get lots of grade 9s and these students go on to get A* in A level Maths and Further Maths - we get students into Oxbridge every year.

Great resources for GCSE include Dr Frost and MathsMadeEasy - I'll post direct links if you cannot find them.

I was thinking the same, I would much rather try and aim for an 8 or a 9 in normal maths rather than have further maths pull me back. Really wish my school didn't force people to do further and made it optional instead. I haven't fully decided on dropping out of it but when do you think is the best time to do so? Since i've yet to sit a maths exam in year 10.
I use both of those resources but I don't get the best grades in maths, do you perhaps have any tips on getting those top marks? Thank you so much for your replies
Original post by ctrlm.

best thing is practise PrAcTiSe PRACTISE for maths- start now do an exam paper a week give it to your teacher to mark force him/her. use cgp revision guide but PRACTISe and nag your teracher
(im in yr11 btw and im aiming 8 but havent just got there yetttt
Reply 6
Original post by StormyInk202
best thing is practise PrAcTiSe PRACTISE for maths- start now do an exam paper a week give it to your teacher to mark force him/her. use cgp revision guide but PRACTISe and nag your teracher

yep that’s true ,If you are stuck ask your maths teacher or talk to them even during yr 10,GCSEs and even at A level I still ask my teachers ,they’ll try to help.

Maths made easy has this FREE online learning portal that’s covers GCSE maths topics.
https://mmerevise.co.uk/learning-portal.

The last questions on the papers are usually the long 5 markers or questions you don’t usually see in textbooks and those are about throughly understanding the content and how to apply it in various scenarios and the links across topics and …more exam practise.

Maths genie and Corbettmaths have quite a lot of "softer/less exam styled" practise questions that are still good for practise.

Physics and maths tutor also has many exam practise papers
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/gcse-questions-edexcel/

Doing an exam in the sports hall/exam hall give many "butterflies".Including me
Usually when you start doing the test and "zone in to it " ,you usually don’t pay attention at your surroundings.
Also you’re gonna do more than half a year of practise tests and mocks in the exam hall and personally for me by my Yr11 March mocks it didn’t rly seem as scary as it was when I started the year.

Try consistently revising smaller chunks/subtopics until your test ,may be like a topic day,rather than cramming.

Good luck !
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by StormyInk202

thanks so much! i'm definitely going to start revision asap but i like the idea of giving a practice paper for my teacher to mark (he's really strict and scary but i'll still try it out) also are cgp guides for maths good? i never see anyone talk about them
again thanks so muchh
Reply 8
Original post by hs1233
yep that’s true ,If you are stuck ask your maths teacher or talk to them even during yr 10,GCSEs and even at A level I still ask my teachers ,they’ll try to help.

Maths made easy has this FREE online learning portal that’s covers GCSE maths topics.
https://mmerevise.co.uk/learning-portal.

The last questions on the papers are usually the long 5 markers or questions you don’t usually see in textbooks and those are about throughly understanding the content and how to apply it in various scenarios and the links across topics and …more exam practise.

Maths genie and Corbettmaths have quite a lot of "softer/less exam styled" practise questions that are still good for practise.

Physics and maths tutor also has many exam practise papers
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/maths-revision/gcse-questions-edexcel/

Doing an exam in the sports hall/exam hall give many "butterflies".Including me
Usually when you start doing the test and "zone in to it " ,you usually don’t pay attention at your surroundings.
Also you’re gonna do more than half a year of practise tests and mocks in the exam hall and personally for me by my Yr11 March mocks it didn’t rly seem as scary as it was when I started the year.

Try consistently revising smaller chunks/subtopics until your test ,may be like a topic day,rather than cramming.

Good luck !

my maths teacher is literally no help and if you ask him any questions, he kinda gets mad at you and the only thing he does is to tell you to read the question again which is really annoying but i'll try being more vocal in class when im stuck (i'm the type of person that doesn't usually put their hand up when stuck and just suffer in silence which ive got to stop doing) my teacher really sucks this year but oh well
thanks so much for the advice ! what revision website/resource do you think is the best one to use?
Original post by ctrlm.

Heya!
When you do practice papers, do you look at WHY you are not getting the full marks? Do you go over them with your teacher to see how you could've scored higher? What helped me is just going over the questions I got wrong and then attempting to do similar questions until I understood how to do them properly. Perhaps you could find it useful as well?

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by ctrlm.

Hey, got a 9 in maths and further maths so hopefully this helps! 💜
Maths - learn content with Corbett Maths and Maths Genie. I know some people like to do the questions by grade, while I would just do full past papers. When you get something wrong, obviously correct your answer, add the correct method, and find what kind of mistake you made (reading the question, dropping a 0, or an actual knowledge gap). Knowledge gaps need to be addressed with more videos and more practice questions. Just keep doing your past papers, it genuinely pays off. When you're done, redo them! See what difference there is in your marks. Also a note on the last questions for all my year 11s, they are designed to be difficult and test your application. You might not be able to do them for every paper you sit or even on the final exam (I could do 2 of the 3 last questions this year). Just because you struggle with it or can't do it, doesn't mean you don't get a good grade! Think about the grade boundaries. For my maths, I think I ended up getting 222/240 which sounds like I dropped a decent amount of marks and just because the grade boundaries were really nice, I managed to get that 9.
Further Maths - Corbettmaths, TL Maths and Dr Frost Maths are great resources for learning. I would just work through every past paper on Dr Frost, and do all the questions we got given by our teacher. FM questions repeat a lot across the years, so if you've done all the papers, you won't see a lot of new questions pop up. Best of luck this year, let me know of you have any questions xx
Original post by ctrlm.
thanks so much! i'm definitely going to start revision asap but i like the idea of giving a practice paper for my teacher to mark (he's really strict and scary but i'll still try it out) also are cgp guides for maths good? i never see anyone talk about them
again thanks

its ok! i found the cgp book helpful it has like thorough worked examples but you may not find it useful idk .w.

Quick Reply

Latest