The Student Room Group

how do i raise my grades and not get stuck in a rut

I started year 11 this year and my predicted grades are : maths(4), eng lit(5 ), biology(5), physics(5), art(8), DT(6), and french(5). I don't have grades for my computer science because I haven't had a teacher for a whole year and I'm thinking of dropping chemistry because the content stresses me out and my current teacher doesn't do much to help :PI know how to do better in some subjects because I understand what I need to focus on(managing for my NEA, using active recall for vocabulary). still, there are some of these I fear I cant even pass because there's too much to remember in the short amount of time I have left and how much education I've lost (covid). schools not good at all but I still try to just get on with what I have to do and though its not my best I know I still do better than some people.i want to do animation and work in the film industry as a storyboard artist. I've always loved it but because of how much I've spent trying to redeem my grades i havent practiced much recently. i want to be productive again, i feel it gave me more maturity and general freedom. i have inspiration but not the time or energy after constantly doing pomodoro and crying after school because of how much negativity it gives me lolwhat do i do to have my own personal development without screwing my grades up?
french: french music, french tv shows (watch in french with english subs)
maths: practice papers, youtube videos, hegarty maths, corbett maths
eng: read. (sorry, there's nothing else for it) Mr bruff and Mr salles on yt helped me so much. I'll send you my annotations if you're doing power and conflict, if you want
bio and physics and chem: free science lessons, seneca, practice papers
DT: you really have to graft in those lessons. there;'s nothing you can do about it.

if you're set on storyboard art, get art and dt up as much as you can. you can't neglect the others though, as they might affect your getting into a college. sometimes you have to focus on the things you're not good at so you can do the things you do want to do in the future.

ditch pomodoro if it's not working for you and try a different timing method.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by nosferrr
I started year 11 this year and my predicted grades are : maths(4), eng lit(5 ), biology(5), physics(5), art(8), DT(6), and french(5). I don't have grades for my computer science because I haven't had a teacher for a whole year and I'm thinking of dropping chemistry because the content stresses me out and my current teacher doesn't do much to help :PI know how to do better in some subjects because I understand what I need to focus on(managing for my NEA, using active recall for vocabulary). still, there are some of these I fear I cant even pass because there's too much to remember in the short amount of time I have left and how much education I've lost (covid). schools not good at all but I still try to just get on with what I have to do and though its not my best I know I still do better than some people.i want to do animation and work in the film industry as a storyboard artist. I've always loved it but because of how much I've spent trying to redeem my grades i havent practiced much recently. i want to be productive again, i feel it gave me more maturity and general freedom. i have inspiration but not the time or energy after constantly doing pomodoro and crying after school because of how much negativity it gives me lolwhat do i do to have my own personal development without screwing my grades up?

FRENCH: Duolingo is pointless please don't do that. go to the spec page for French and see what topics there are find vocab on the topics and use anki to learn it (rly good flashcard web)
DT: perfect your course work- make extra design ideas pages- do extra product research and use Seneca to learn the content. also flick through a textbook to get the knowledge in your head (if youre a visual learner). use whimsical for mindmaps i did like so many and inserted them into my work- also my teacher has taught us zero content so i gotta learn it all yaya for me
PHYSICS: i love physics- had to say that- use the blurting method on few pages for each topic. go through the topics u don't get on kerboodle and seneca also flick through a revision guide not textbook they make it harder more confusing ya know
BIOLOGY: use bbc bitesize and revisebiology.co.uk the most important thing for biology is exam practise because the questions are so different, it doesnt matter if you know the content, you need to be able to answer them like the exam board wants it- they r really picky on this for bio frfr
ENG LIT: get unannotated poems from anthology and annotate them without help then analyse them in detail. answer practise qs on them. kip mcgrath is an amazing tutor use them its the best!!
MATHS: practise, practise PRACTISE nothing better you can do im afraid. do past papers and get your teachers to mark them or i could help maybe? also try sencea and cgp revision guide its awsome
idk about art, i dont take it but youre doing amaing in it- 8 is really good
also i find pomodoro does not work for me. i study for an hour or two then do smn i enjoy like read or eat lmao
also do not give up, your amazing and school and gcse is not everything .w.
good luck i hope this helped

Hiya there,

First of all, please don't worry! You can definitely improve so much this year if you do focused work and you work consistently! In general, past papers are your best friend - complete a few questions each week on topics that you're weak on, and continue that throughout the year :h:. For sciences, we have lots of notes here on gcse bio, chem and phys which i really recommend going through :u:. For French, I recommend really nailing the vocab - i personally went on Memrise for around 10 minutes each day and honesly it was incredibly useful, as vocab is the key to getting a high grade!

Lmk if this advice helps, and what your thoughts are as I can't fit all of the tips I have in one post :redface:.

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind
Original post by StormyInk202
FRENCH: Duolingo is pointless please don't do that. go to the spec page for French and see what topics there are find vocab on the topics and use anki to learn it (rly good flashcard web)
DT: perfect your course work- make extra design ideas pages- do extra product research and use Seneca to learn the content. also flick through a textbook to get the knowledge in your head (if youre a visual learner). use whimsical for mindmaps i did like so many and inserted them into my work- also my teacher has taught us zero content so i gotta learn it all yaya for me
PHYSICS: i love physics- had to say that- use the blurting method on few pages for each topic. go through the topics u don't get on kerboodle and seneca also flick through a revision guide not textbook they make it harder more confusing ya know
BIOLOGY: use bbc bitesize and revisebiology.co.uk the most important thing for biology is exam practise because the questions are so different, it doesnt matter if you know the content, you need to be able to answer them like the exam board wants it- they r really picky on this for bio frfr
ENG LIT: get unannotated poems from anthology and annotate them without help then analyse them in detail. answer practise qs on them. kip mcgrath is an amazing tutor use them its the best!!
MATHS: practise, practise PRACTISE nothing better you can do im afraid. do past papers and get your teachers to mark them or i could help maybe? also try sencea and cgp revision guide its awsome
idk about art, i dont take it but youre doing amaing in it- 8 is really good
also i find pomodoro does not work for me. i study for an hour or two then do smn i enjoy like read or eat lmao
also do not give up, your amazing and school and gcse is not everything .w.
good luck i hope this helped

duolingo isn't pointless. it's very good for vocab alongside other methods. It's maybe not good on it's own in terms of UK exams, but don't write it off completely. it helps with speaking a lot. i got a 9 in french literally by using duolingo, french tv shows and french music.
Original post by cherryblossomed
duolingo isn't pointless. it's very good for vocab alongside other methods. It's maybe not good on it's own in terms of UK exams, but don't write it off completely. it helps with speaking a lot. i got a 9 in french literally by using duolingo, french tv shows and french music.

yeah its ok for vocab but i meant in this situation

Hi,
Just did my GCSEs so hope this helps 💜
First of all, I know it can feel really stressful and overwhelming right now (I'm kind if in the same boat at college), but it does get better! It really does. Don't worry about missing education too, your last affected year would have been year 9 giving you 2 normal years of teaching before your exams to catch up Xx.
First of all, it sounds like you might be burned out. If you can, maybe take a day or two completely off and do something that makes you happy. If not, then try to take breaks while you're working - I'm going to say it louder for the people in the back, the Pomodoro technique is not the only way of taking regular breaks while revising. Some people prefer to do an hour or two and then have a break. Some people will take a break after each main task, some people will only take a break at a particular time of the day.
For your subjects:
Maths - learn content by watching Corbett Maths and Maths Genie videos, and doing practice questions/past papers. Some people prefer doing questions by grade, I was more of a whole paper girl.

Lit - Stacey Reay, I will never stop recommending her for anyone struggling with Lit, and she aims her content for those that are looking for 7-9. Make essay plans of what you'll say for each character and each theme, and practice writing your essays and getting them marked. Upgrade your vocab by reading! (Which is also great for self care haha)

Sciences- Cognito and Freesciencelessons are lifesavers. This was my way of revising: Use your spec for your exam board (please use your spec for your subjects, it literally tells you what is assessed), and turn each point into a question (e.g. to understand the role of ribosomes would become "What is the role of a ribosome?"). Go through the videos for each topic as you make the questions, and at the end of revising the topic, answer the questions and correct in a different colour. Repeat this again and again for each topic and for all the questions. Also past papers on the side are really useful! Xx

Languages - I did Spanish, but learn your verb conjugations and your tenses please! Listen to music and watch TV in your target language. Make flashcards for any new vocab. But genuinely just do past papers, revision world was a good source for past papers for Spanish, I hope it's the same for French? Xx. Make flashcards for speaking and memorise your responses to common questions. Trust me, it helps you not to panic when you're doing it.
Overall, it seems like you're self aware, which is already a great step for fixing any problem! Look after yourself, hope these tips help and best of luck this year xx

Quick Reply

Latest