Turn on thread page Beta

How are these a levels for Medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Evening,
    I am picking a levels for next year and want to do medicine or possibly dentistry at university, what are these ones like?

-Chemistry
    -Biology
    -English Lit.
    -History

Would it put me at a disadvantage not doing physics or maths?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think that's perfect as long as you got Chemistry and Biology. The other two can be of your choice. English Lit is a good one.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have Bio and Chem,you'll be fine...:rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    those are absolutely fine for medicine

ReputationRep:
    The best would be:

Maths
    Chemistry
    Biology
    English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    they are fine.

no need for anything like maths/phy but chem and bio are a must.
    only maths /phys to if you want oxbridge but even then it's not a 'must'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamessimth5)
    Evening,
    I am picking a levels for next year and want to do medicine or possibly dentistry at university, what are these ones like?

-Chemistry
    -Biology
    -English Lit.
    -History

Thanks
    wow, you sound so polite. I think your choices are fine as long as you do chemistry & biology at A2

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely get maths in there, drop history and english.

ReputationRep:
    ignore Barry Chuckle - maths is not necessary. History and english are both absolutely fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barry Chuckle)
    I would definitely ask for some sort of filter in this forum to keep out those who don't know what they're on about :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thats not actually true. I don't think that any medical school in the UK say that you HAVE to take Maths.

OP those subjects should be ok To maximise your chances you are probably best taking both Biology and Chemistry to A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    Totally agree
    And you agree because..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodybuilder22)
    The best would be:

Maths
    Chemistry
    Biology
    English Lit.
    Why? Having Maths in there only helps when applying to Imperial and Oxbridge...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Why? Having Maths in there only helps when applying to Imperial and Oxbridge...
    No it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I would definitely ask for some sort of filter in this forum to keep out those who don't know what they're on about :rolleyes:
    maths is the most respected of subjects, where is your logic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamessimth5)
    Evening,

-Chemistry
    -Biology
    -English Lit.
    -History

Thanks
    I would say take maths (at least) to be safe. The fact of the matter is, many of the people you will be competing against are going to have 3 sciences and maths so don't put yourself at a disadvantage to them. Not only that but you will find Biology and Chemistry easier with other sciences to support them.

ReputationRep:
    That's a purely subjective argument, and even if it were true that doesn't mean medical schools ask for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    for medicine, you would require biology and chemistry.. english literature not only because OP seems to want to do it but because it will improve literacy skills and i think thats important for doctors. maths because a lot of maths will be required for chemistry a level. it also helps to think logically and im sure there will be some maths in the study of medicine. whereas, history, i dont see how it would help but if OP has a true passion for the subject then i suppose theres no real harm done.
    Hm, okay well that's a good argument I guess, at least you're not saying "omgz you need it"...but if the OP doesn't want to take maths it's still very possible to get a good grade in sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    No it doesn't.
    Okay then. Take out Imperial...

But having a third science is pretty much essential when applying to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a well respected subject. However when applying to medical school the OP is much better off taking subjects that they enjoy and therefore will probably do better in. There are a lot of medical school out there at the moment who are actually looking favourably when it comes to people who are taking subjects which are less traditional for a medical school applicant.

That's not saying that people who enjoy maths and want to take it shouldn't just that people who don't take won't be at a disadvantage. The important subjects that you have to take are Biology and Chemistry (some don't ask for both to A2 but most do).

I think that there might be one or two which want you to have three (though don't quote me on that) but they are in the minority and for them you can always take physics.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 17, 2008

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.