The Student Room Group

Medicine as a second degree + funding

Good evening,

Could you please let me know if the student loans company fund medicine as a second degree? I called student finance and was told that they fund the tuition fees and will provide a maintenance loan for living costs, but on this website they state that student finance will only help to fund living costs and not tuition fees?

https://rmbf.org/get-help/help-for-medical-students/medical-student-advice-hub/medicine-as-a-second-degree-in-england/

Can anyone please clarify the truth to this matter?

Thank you
Original post by maturestudent89
Good evening,

Could you please let me know if the student loans company fund medicine as a second degree? I called student finance and was told that they fund the tuition fees and will provide a maintenance loan for living costs, but on this website they state that student finance will only help to fund living costs and not tuition fees?

https://rmbf.org/get-help/help-for-medical-students/medical-student-advice-hub/medicine-as-a-second-degree-in-england/

Can anyone please clarify the truth to this matter?

Thank you

Hi there,
The funding available can be different based on the type of medicine course you will be studying.
Please can you confirm if the course name will be Undergraduate Entry Medicine or Graduate Entry Medicine?

Thanks, Tina.
Original post by Tina Oliver SLC
Hi there,
The funding available can be different based on the type of medicine course you will be studying.
Please can you confirm if the course name will be Undergraduate Entry Medicine or Graduate Entry Medicine?

Thanks, Tina.

Undergraduate medicine and yes I am aware that funding for tuition fees is not available.
Original post by maturestudent89
Undergraduate medicine and yes I am aware that funding for tuition fees is not available.

Hi there,
Thanks for confirming this for me.

You are correct that tuition fee wouldn't be available.
You can apply for maintenance loan for years 1-4 of the course, then in the 5th and subsequent years of study students can apply for an income assessed NHS Bursary and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from SFE.

Thanks, Tina

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending