The Student Room Group

failing french. c’est malheureuse

recently, I have been told that my working at grade for french is a 6. For some, that may be really good. But considering my grades in my other subjects, and that my target grade is an 8, I am of course pretty disappointed. French is that one subject I am not even sure that I will even pass at this rate, forget about an 8.

Does anybody have anyway to improve grades regarding french? Listening and reading tips would really be appreciated. Even if I do revise for these silly mid term tests I never seem to get over a 6
Reply 1
If I was you I would begin making flash cards on all the important vocabulary and tenses using a program like anki or remnote which can help reinforce the meaning of the vocab which will help across the board in French and will help implement spaced repetition in French. You’re in a good position to start now as they help the most a few months before the exam.

For listening I would recommend just listening to the past paper audio clips online for all years and exam boards (they all are quite similar) and if you want maybe try some of the past papers to get a better understanding of the way they speak. You can also listen to French videos like easy French and duo lingo podcasts which I heard are good.
Original post by kyos_bracelet
recently, I have been told that my working at grade for french is a 6. For some, that may be really good. But considering my grades in my other subjects, and that my target grade is an 8, I am of course pretty disappointed. French is that one subject I am not even sure that I will even pass at this rate, forget about an 8.

Does anybody have anyway to improve grades regarding french? Listening and reading tips would really be appreciated. Even if I do revise for these silly mid term tests I never seem to get over a 6

Being more specific, what part of listening and reading are you finding most challenging?
Reply 3
Go back to basics! Make sure you know the verb endings for the three groups of regular verbs for each tense and then once you are sure you’ve got that do flash cards for the twenty or so most common irregular verbs. You’ll find that even those fall into patterns so it’s easier than you think.
Then make sure you know the basic rules for nouns and adjectives according for gender and number, and then move onto according subjects and verbs with the basic rules for “être”. When you feel confident with this move onto avoir which is more complicated and if not mastered at GCSE is not the end of the world.
For reading comprehension look at the subject topics covered by your exam board and make lists of vocabulary and flash cards. Listening comprehension is harder because until your ear becomes trained you are under the impression that it’s just one long stream of sounds that run into each other. There is no other way to get round this though other than practice. You can either watch kids cartoons on Netflix and build up to films or listen to podcasts. Many French radio stations are accessible from the UK so worth a try as well.
Languages really are subjects at GCSE level where you can do well if you just follow the rules and put in the memory work. You may not have the musical ear to get the accent right but you can definitely get a high grade just from mastering basics.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6678764
This seems to have some good resources that cover your issues.
Good luck
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kyos_bracelet

I found listening my weakest , I'm now in year 12 and achieved a grade 8 I will tag you in another thread with the ways I did this
Reply 5
Just a little note “c’est is masculin and you’ve written malheureuse which is féminin. The adjective has to accord with the subject and the noun. Just little things like this when added up can make a huge difference. The French language is sexist ( although there is now a movement that asks that all feminine versions of adjectives be placed in brackets after each subject ), so when in doubt it’s masculine. So “c’est “which is ambiguous is counted as masculine! If there’s a group of 20 people and one, and only one is male ( even if it’s a baby) we say ils and not elles when talking about them. Just the way it goes!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest