The Student Room Group

How easy is it to get a placement?

So I'm assuming it's easier to get a placement when it's mentioned directly on the degree, but what about those unis which don't mention it? (For me, UCL and KCL.) How easy is it to get a placement there? (I'm applying for biomed.)
Depends on the University amd often even the department.
Email and ask - this is important info to know when making your 5 choices,
Original post by McGinger
Depends on the University amd often even the department.
Email and ask - this is important info to know when making your 5 choices,

I did ask UCL admissions a few days back, and they just replied, saying that I should contact a member of the relevant department for more info. And now I'm stuck because there's so many people in there and I don't know whom to email this to :redface:

Thanks for your reply! :smile:
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I did ask UCL admissions a few days back, and they just replied, saying that I should contact a member of the relevant department for more info. And now I'm stuck because there's so many people in there and I don't know whom to email this to :redface:

Classic UCL laziness.
Email them back and ask for the name and email of the appropriate person.
Or look at an different University.
Original post by McGinger
Classic UCL laziness.
Email them back and ask for the name and email of the appropriate person.
Or look at an different University.

They've asked me to look at their online prospectus and find the contact details from there. Easier said than done, because I can't find anything. :redface:

But thanks for the help! :smile: I'll see if I can find this out some other way.
They've asked me to look at their online prospectus and find the contact details from there. Easier said than done, because I can't find anything. :redface:

But thanks for the help! :smile: I'll see if I can find this out some other way.

Post on the UCL Forum - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=55
So I'm assuming it's easier to get a placement when it's mentioned directly on the degree, but what about those unis which don't mention it? (For me, UCL and KCL.) How easy is it to get a placement there? (I'm applying for biomed.)

Hey @sleep_supremacy

The limited knowledge I have depends on if you are doing biomedical science and applying for your placement to become IBMS certified or just hoping to do a placement in industry e.g. at Pfizer.

At Lancaster doing a placement year in a biomedical science degree is not listed as a separate degree like in other subjects (i.e. I do biochemistry and to do a placement year you have to apply to/transfer onto the degree "with placement" but there is no "with placement" option for the IBMS accredited biomedical sciences despite being able to apply for a placement).

The quote from the website page says:
"Whilst on the course, you will be eligible to apply for highly competitive placements within the NHS. If successful, you will begin your placement after completion of your second year of study, finishing at the end of August the following year. You will complete a portfolio during your placement year which is examined by the IBMS"
So no placements are confirmed and they are very competitive.

And if you are not interested in the IBMS accreditation and just want experience in industry:

Usually you will need permission from the university to do a placement year, so by applying to degrees with "placement year" or "year in industry" listed it means you are already all good to apply for placements and take a year off studies to do one (usually under some conditions e.g. it it's paid placement/you complete a review assessment during your placement). I know anyone who decided they wanted to do a placement later in the year had to transfer onto the placement degree, so if a university doesn't offer a placement option it might not be available, but this might depend on university.

From my own experience you are very rarely promised a placement by universities, it is usually up to you to seek them out and apply for them and if you don't get any you just continue on the non-placement 3 year course. The support offered in getting a placement varies by university. I know I had a team supporting me during first year to plan for applications in second year and they currently send out weekly newsletters with opportunities and advice.

If you are looking for a relevant department email it might be listed on the biomed webpage on the website along with the course information and modules?

I hope I could help a little!
Rebecca :smile:

Thanks for your reply! :smile:

Every individual degree on the UCL website has a specific, separate contact email for enquiries for their specific department. Did you email that contact email address, or central admissions?
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @sleep_supremacy

The limited knowledge I have depends on if you are doing biomedical science and applying for your placement to become IBMS certified or just hoping to do a placement in industry e.g. at Pfizer.

At Lancaster doing a placement year in a biomedical science degree is not listed as a separate degree like in other subjects (i.e. I do biochemistry and to do a placement year you have to apply to/transfer onto the degree "with placement" but there is no "with placement" option for the IBMS accredited biomedical sciences despite being able to apply for a placement).

The quote from the website page says:
"Whilst on the course, you will be eligible to apply for highly competitive placements within the NHS. If successful, you will begin your placement after completion of your second year of study, finishing at the end of August the following year. You will complete a portfolio during your placement year which is examined by the IBMS"
So no placements are confirmed and they are very competitive.

And if you are not interested in the IBMS accreditation and just want experience in industry:

Usually you will need permission from the university to do a placement year, so by applying to degrees with "placement year" or "year in industry" listed it means you are already all good to apply for placements and take a year off studies to do one (usually under some conditions e.g. it it's paid placement/you complete a review assessment during your placement). I know anyone who decided they wanted to do a placement later in the year had to transfer onto the placement degree, so if a university doesn't offer a placement option it might not be available, but this might depend on university.

From my own experience you are very rarely promised a placement by universities, it is usually up to you to seek them out and apply for them and if you don't get any you just continue on the non-placement 3 year course. The support offered in getting a placement varies by university. I know I had a team supporting me during first year to plan for applications in second year and they currently send out weekly newsletters with opportunities and advice.

If you are looking for a relevant department email it might be listed on the biomed webpage on the website along with the course information and modules?

I hope I could help a little!

Hi Rebecca! Thanks for your reply :smile:

I'm not planning to do an IBMS-accredited course (no NHS), so I'm looking at industry placements.

From my own experience you are very rarely promised a placement by universities- So I have to look for placements and then bring them to my supervisor? Or do I give them to the careers service of something? (I'm really clueless lmao :tongue:)

If you are looking for a relevant department email it might be listed on the biomed webpage on the website along with the course information and modules- I wasn't aware that departments had their own emails, oops! :tongue: I'll look on the biomed page.

Thanks again! :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
Every individual degree on the UCL website has a specific, separate contact email for enquiries for their specific department. Did you email that contact email address, or central admissions?

I emailed central admissions, and completely forgot that individual departments had their own emails :tongue: Going to email the department now, thanks for your reply! :smile:
Hi Rebecca! Thanks for your reply :smile:

I'm not planning to do an IBMS-accredited course (no NHS), so I'm looking at industry placements.

From my own experience you are very rarely promised a placement by universities- So I have to look for placements and then bring them to my supervisor? Or do I give them to the careers service of something? (I'm really clueless lmao :tongue:)

If you are looking for a relevant department email it might be listed on the biomed webpage on the website along with the course information and modules- I wasn't aware that departments had their own emails, oops! :tongue: I'll look on the biomed page.

Thanks again! :smile:

When I said that you aren't promised a placement I mean that they haven't got a list of placements to give out to make sure everyone on the placement degree gets one if that makes sense (some universities might if that's their process but I've not personally heard of it). It's your responsibility to apply for placements and fill in applications/attend interviews and if you don't get a placement offer then you'll just do 3rd year as normal with no placement. I'll be honest I'm not actually sure what you do once you get a placement offer, as I'm only a month into applications, but I'm assuming I'll just email the placement team and they'll let me know the next steps?

For the biosciences, placement applications start early October of your second year so make sure you get prepared over the summer before!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
When I said that you aren't promised a placement I mean that they haven't got a list of placements to give out to make sure everyone on the placement degree gets one if that makes sense (some universities might if that's their process but I've not personally heard of it). It's your responsibility to apply for placements and fill in applications/attend interviews and if you don't get a placement offer then you'll just do 3rd year as normal with no placement. I'll be honest I'm not actually sure what you do once you get a placement offer, as I'm only a month into applications, but I'm assuming I'll just email the placement team and they'll let me know the next steps?

For the biosciences, placement applications start early October of your second year so make sure you get prepared over the summer before!

Hi Rebecca, thanks again for your reply! :smile:

So basically it's on me to secure a placement; the uni just helps with the application and approval? Did I get that right?
Hi Rebecca, thanks again for your reply! :smile:

So basically it's on me to secure a placement; the uni just helps with the application and approval? Did I get that right?

In my experience yes, good luck with uni applications!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending