The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
SpiritedAway
we have a new German assisstant and god is he sexy :love: and he has this amazing accent speaking both German (swaben) and speaking English :biggrin:

Sounds lovely!
I don't know any German men :frown:
Reply 41
I love the American Bronx dialect haha :-) Not that it's a language of its own.
I'm especially thinking of the SNL skit "The Bronx Beat" with Amy Poehler and Maya Rudolph.
I'm probably in the minority here but I think German sounds sexy.

But a man who speaks German would just sound so fit.

You would probably like to know that I went out with a German guy! :wink:

For me, German is the best language... you can just make up words, it's so logical, and I love the sounds, such as "ch" and "ü".

Annoyingly, I've been speaking French since the age of seven, and am fluent so that's "meant" to be my favourite I suppose. I'm pretty sure there's space for more languages in my brain!

I never really got to do German at school though. Luckily, on all the courses I've applied for at university, I can do German ab initio. Oh yeah! :woo:
I love how German sounds. Don't like the way French sounds.
Reply 45
Italian is the nicest souding imo.
Reply 46
I love English. It doesn't sound that beautiful, but I still find it very special. French is lovely, and so romantic. German is extremely interesting, and even though it might sound harsh at times, that's usually when you don't speak the language. It really isn't as hard as it seems. Spanish is really nice too (of course :P) and, like Italian, they're not that difficult to learn from what I've been told (since Spanish is my mother tongue, so can't really say).

Languages like Russian, Arabic and Chinese do sound extremely complicated to learn! I can't find any languages somewhat ugly though. I think the beauty of a language might depend on whether you like that country's culture and any experiences you might have had with native people or in that actual country.
Reply 47
crisl91
I think the beauty of a language might depend on whether you like that country's culture and any experiences you might have had with native people or in that actual country.

I think so too.
Reply 48
crisl91
I love English. It doesn't sound that beautiful, but I still find it very special. French is lovely, and so romantic. German is extremely interesting, and even though it might sound harsh at times, that's usually when you don't speak the language. It really isn't as hard as it seems. Spanish is really nice too (of course :P) and, like Italian, they're not that difficult to learn from what I've been told (since Spanish is my mother tongue, so can't really say).

Languages like Russian, Arabic and Chinese do sound extremely complicated to learn! I can't find any languages somewhat ugly though. I think the beauty of a language might depend on whether you like that country's culture and any experiences you might have had with native people or in that actual country.

Italian is piss easy, seriously :p:. My mother tongue is French, I can read and understand it pretty easily (well, I've studied it so it helps), but since our languages have the same roots, I'd say that about 80% of what you're learning sounds the same. Without having ever learnt Spanish I can read it, same for Portuguese and even Latin. Of course I don't get everything right but it's deffo easier than if you were reading German or Polish.
Anatheme
Italian is piss easy, seriously :p:. My mother tongue is French, I can read and understand it pretty easily (well, I've studied it so it helps), but since our languages have the same roots, I'd say that about 80% of what you're learning sounds the same. Without having ever learnt Spanish I can read it, same for Portuguese and even Latin. Of course I don't get everything right but it's deffo easier than if you were reading German or Polish.

i think German and English look the same quite a lot of the time, especially middle english and german, words like, "kan" (english) and "kann" (german). and i can't even guess at any of the latinate languages. especially spanish.
I've always been drawn to less common languages, especially those of Scandinavia! French is a very lovely language but the hardest romance language to learn (Spanish being the easiest)

Russian has a certain aura and mysterious chic factor about it, that I love

I dont like Chinese/Japanese/Korean etc blurgh they sound horrible
Samual
I've always been drawn to less common languages, especially those of Scandinavia! French is a very lovely language but the hardest romance language to learn (Spanish being the easiest)

Russian has a certain aura and mysterious chic factor about it, that I love

I dont like Chinese/Japanese/Korean etc blurgh they sound horrible

do you think? i mean i always found french hard at school, but it is far easier in comparison to spanish.
Reply 52
Anatheme

Well yes, I agree, French is quite easy and many times you might just guess a certain word and still get it right. True, it's not difficult for us to understand French, Italian, Portuguese. German sounds different, but when you actually learn it, you realise how logical it is and the way everything makes sense. It's been structured in a very intelligent way. Reading a language is not that hard, but probably the most complicated bit is to listen to someone speak and get it all/part of it if you don't speak the language.
I think Italian is beautiful, and apparently it is easy to learn. However, I am utterly hopeless with languages and I am just unable to learn other languages, which I desperately want to do! I tried really hard at school with French and German but got nowhere. I had a go at teaching myself Italian, again futile. I'll just have to accept that I will have to abide to the stereotypical Englishman who can't speak any other language. Ah well.
Reply 54
rotor
I'm probably in the minority here but I think German sounds sexy.

I agree also :yep:
It sounds amazing to me, I like the sounds using ä's.
French is beautiful, just wish it was as easy as german!
I heard dutch at an open day a few months ago and fell in love with the sound of that and have made a mental note to pursue it sometime. Ditto Italian.
Ok I do think a lot of them sound good in there own lil' ways. :biggrin:
KayleeLand
what you put, is beyond correction.

or maybe not..... espero que tengas buena noche.... (i hope you have a good night)

That isn't strictly true either. It could be either "tenga" or "tengas", meaning you (singular) and you (plural) respectively. Everything needs to be taken in to context, otherwise it can be misunderstood.
I'm just popping by to say I speak German fluently, since my father is German, so you know..., pm me for a date :P
yeah, I think German is not too hard to learn, and I just love the flexibility of the language, i.e., as some people said, making up words, etc. which completely backfires in English
Reply 57
TheMeister
That isn't strictly true either. It could be either "tenga" or "tengas", meaning you (singular) and you (plural) respectively. Everything needs to be taken in to context, otherwise it can be misunderstood.

Tengáis (informal, plural), tenga (formal, singular), tengan (formal, plural) and tengas (informal, singular 'you'). I'd say "que tengas una buena noche" (using the singular, informal 'you'). But again Spanish is not easy. I also make mistakes in English!
SpiritedAway
do you think? i mean i always found french hard at school, but it is far easier in comparison to spanish.

Absolutely! For someone who has no knowledge in a romance language, French is certainly the hardest. i find its grammar very hard especially. The French people, in general, dont forgive bad French so its much harder to use what language you have learnt in France. Which ultimately means it takes longer
Reply 59
The most harsh language there is is swiss-german (pick the bad bits out of german dutch and danish and then add krrrr at end of every word and that's it lol) and the most beautiful is swedish so melodic I love to speak it

Latest

Trending

Trending