The Student Room Group

Please give me revision advice - I am so stressed and I don't know what to do.

I'm in extreme burnout after sitting AS exams. I have so much to catch-up on and I honestly just feel like I'm shutting down as I feel so overwhelmed.

I just need some advice on revision right now. How do I revise? We've only completed 1/4 of A2 content. What sort of revision do I do? My plan is to recap all A2 content by re-writing all my notes into simplified versions, completing notes based on the spec. Then, I'm going to make Quizlets for each topic. What sort of revision should I be doing? Like shall I just revise using flashcards and then use past papers closer to exams (e.g. over christmas break and in the months run up to exams?). Please please advise me. I feel so stressed as I don't know if my revision is suitable.

I'm studying psychology, english language and media studies (all CIE board - meaning I do exams after AS and after A2. I have only done 1/4 of A2 content but I'm starting the 2nd quarter of content now). My college is bugging my about revising but I don't know how!!

Please any advice on how much revision I should be doing per day per week per subject and what sort of techniques?

Honestly I'm desperate because I just feel like I'm going to explode from stress and just want to cry. If anyone can provide me just a general idea of how much revision I should be doing, what type, and when I should up my revision hours, I will appreciate you SO much.
Ok this is what I do.
Make a list of all units/ areas of content.
Give yourself/ find out your deadlines
Take off 6 days( 3 contingency) and fit the content inside that ( make notes/ flash cards).
The first lot of 3 days use to do tests/ practice tests and make note of every thing you get wrong (use this to revise later on)
The rest of the 3 days just rest.
The 6 days should be before the deadline, if that makes sense.
Original post by HootHootHooooot
I'm in extreme burnout after sitting AS exams. I have so much to catch-up on and I honestly just feel like I'm shutting down as I feel so overwhelmed.

I just need some advice on revision right now. How do I revise? We've only completed 1/4 of A2 content. What sort of revision do I do? My plan is to recap all A2 content by re-writing all my notes into simplified versions, completing notes based on the spec. Then, I'm going to make Quizlets for each topic. What sort of revision should I be doing? Like shall I just revise using flashcards and then use past papers closer to exams (e.g. over christmas break and in the months run up to exams?). Please please advise me. I feel so stressed as I don't know if my revision is suitable.

I'm studying psychology, english language and media studies (all CIE board - meaning I do exams after AS and after A2. I have only done 1/4 of A2 content but I'm starting the 2nd quarter of content now). My college is bugging my about revising but I don't know how!!

Please any advice on how much revision I should be doing per day per week per subject and what sort of techniques?

Honestly I'm desperate because I just feel like I'm going to explode from stress and just want to cry. If anyone can provide me just a general idea of how much revision I should be doing, what type, and when I should up my revision hours, I will appreciate you SO much.

Hi so I didn't do AS only A Levels but i get how stressful all this stuff is.

What I did was start with mind maps, usually on an A3 sheet. I also made sure my mind maps were well sectioned and made sure not to just regurgitate the whole workbook. Then take the notes from the mind maps, simplified them into bullet points on either a notebook or flashcards. Then practice exam questions like once a week and try to go easy at first, starting with a more 'open-book' style of testing yourself.

If you can find your subject AND spec on Seneca and you find it helpful I say go for it. I used that for Politics and I liked it because Seneca also tests you as you go along and gives short quizzes at the end of each topic. You can also go back after completing a topic and select 'notes only' which lets you look over the knowledge without testing you, and I used that to help me write some of my notes for politics. Not everyone likes Seneca so again, it'll depend on whether you like it and can use it.

Remember to take it little by little, step by step and don't do everything all at once. Take breaks around every 20 mins to breathe, move around a bit, eat a snack. Avoid going on your phone during the breaks because you'll get absorbed into it and lose motivation. Try not to make your revision sessions too long and try not to make them too short either. If you're gonna have music on, make sure it's something you can actually concentrate with and not something that'll make you want to get up and dance.

At the end of the day it depends on what works for you, but here's just some things that helped me with my revision from last year. Hope it helps :smile:
Original post by HootHootHooooot

Heya!
First note down all the topics you've done and will do in the future. Make a note of which ones you are struggling with the most and perhaps look at them first. Make a revision timetable, perhaps around 2-3hrs after school and more over the weekends. You don't need to do 6hrs of revisions per day - make sure to take a break :h: Make notes, flashcards - whatever works for you the best! personally what helped me was note-taking and doing mind maps, flashcards didn't help me much but don't mean they won't help you! If possible, do practice questions by topic. Go to past papers and try answering the questions you have covered (don't look at the mark scheme until you are done with the question!). For essay questions, you could learn how to plan out them before approaching the questions!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest