The Student Room Group

dentistry - please help

Does anyone know why so little universities do dentistry? Also what is the difference between UCAT, BMAT AND SJT. I just started year 12 and thought dentistry would be an interesting course but got put off by the amount of uni’s that actually offer it, KCL seems like a good choice but its probably highly competitive. I study bio, chem and maths can anyone recommend any other courses for me, Please and thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by s.ghaz
Does anyone know why so little universities do dentistry? Also what is the difference between UCAT, BMAT AND SJT. I just started year 12 and thought dentistry would be an interesting course but got put off by the amount of uni’s that actually offer it, KCL seems like a good choice but its probably highly competitive. I study bio, chem and maths can anyone recommend any other courses for me, Please and thank you.

I think dentistry is a really expensive course to run, so a lot of unis avoid it. Might be wrong though. Okay the UCAT and BMAT are entrance exams. SJT is one section in the UCAT. Every dental school in the UK uses the UCAT, except Leeds, which uses the BMAT. That's why a large majority of dentists choose to only sit the UCAT. UCAT is sat in your summer holidays in between Year 12 and 13. BMAT is sat in late October - early November of Year 13. These exams are aptitude tests, so if you revise for them for too long (e.g. 7 weeks plus), you'll burn out and do really bad. I spent about 5 weeks revising for the UCAT and scored in the top 2 percent in the country, so believe me, it's about quality and not quantity. Either way, you do not need to worry about entrance exams right now. Just focus on predicted grades, getting work experience, and researching your course. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by a._5
I think dentistry is a really expensive course to run, so a lot of unis avoid it. Might be wrong though. Okay the UCAT and BMAT are entrance exams. SJT is one section in the UCAT. Every dental school in the UK uses the UCAT, except Leeds, which uses the BMAT. That's why a large majority of dentists choose to only sit the UCAT. UCAT is sat in your summer holidays in between Year 12 and 13. BMAT is sat in late October - early November of Year 13. These exams are aptitude tests, so if you revise for them for too long (e.g. 7 weeks plus), you'll burn out and do really bad. I spent about 5 weeks revising for the UCAT and scored in the top 2 percent in the country, so believe me, it's about quality and not quantity. Either way, you do not need to worry about entrance exams right now. Just focus on predicted grades, getting work experience, and researching your course. Good luck.

Thank you, so I dont plan on going to a uni like leeds for dentistry so does that mean I don’t have to sit the BMAT? Dentistry is the only course I actually want to apply to but the lack of uni’s that offer it is really putting me off, KCL would be my first choice but I heard its hard to get into
Reply 3
Original post by s.ghaz
Thank you, so I dont plan on going to a uni like leeds for dentistry so does that mean I don’t have to sit the BMAT? Dentistry is the only course I actually want to apply to but the lack of uni’s that offer it is really putting me off, KCL would be my first choice but I heard its hard to get into

Don't be put off. Dentistry is a fantastic career, so it makes sense that it's quite competitive. KCL is hard to get into, just as all dental schools are, but it certainly is doable. And that is correct, if you aren't applying to Leeds, you do not need to take the BMAT. Applying to dentistry or medicine is a long and competitive process, but if you're truly passionate about the course, it's all going to be worth it. I'm in Year 13 right now and it is hard, but that end goal of getting into my dream uni is the best motivation I could ask for.

Quick Reply

Latest