The Student Room Group

How do I become an Early Careers Teacher?

I am currently a PGCE student and am thinking I want to relocate to another city to do my ECT next year. However I am unsure of how to become an ECT? I imagined it would be similar to the PGCE where I apply to a programme, but when I google it I can't find anything. Am I looking in the wrong places? Do I just apply for a job at a school and they take me on as an ECT??

Thanks for any help out there!
Original post by cloudedreams
I am currently a PGCE student and am thinking I want to relocate to another city to do my ECT next year. However I am unsure of how to become an ECT? I imagined it would be similar to the PGCE where I apply to a programme, but when I google it I can't find anything. Am I looking in the wrong places? Do I just apply for a job at a school and they take me on as an ECT??

You just apply to jobs as normal. You can search for jobs through TES and filter for jobs that are willing to accept ECTs.

Your training provider will likely run a session talking about applying for jobs at some point. You can also ask your mentor for advice with your job application. You'll likely find that there aren't many suitable jobs this time of year - as schools recruiting now probably won't want to wait for a September 2023 start - but there may be some.

ECY is the new name for NQT - so just apply for jobs. I started looking in February and had a job by the end of March but jobs will make it clear whether they are suitable for ECTs.

https://www.tes.com/jobs/

If you are aiming for primary teaching then jobs are often advertised on the LA website.
Original post by bluebeetle
You just apply to jobs as normal. You can search for jobs through TES and filter for jobs that are willing to accept ECTs.

Your training provider will likely run a session talking about applying for jobs at some point. You can also ask your mentor for advice with your job application. You'll likely find that there aren't many suitable jobs this time of year - as schools recruiting now probably won't want to wait for a September 2023 start - but there may be some.

Original post by Muttley79
ECY is the new name for NQT - so just apply for jobs. I started looking in February and had a job by the end of March but jobs will make it clear whether they are suitable for ECTs.

https://www.tes.com/jobs/

If you are aiming for primary teaching then jobs are often advertised on the LA website.

Thanks guys! That really helped clear it up. I had a quick chat with my mentor and they said it'd be a challenge to get a job as an ECT outside of the hub I'm currently with as ECT's are seen as undesirable due to being unqualified - is this true do you think?
Thanks guys! That really helped clear it up. I had a quick chat with my mentor and they said it'd be a challenge to get a job as an ECT outside of the hub I'm currently with as ECT's are seen as undesirable due to being unqualified - is this true do you think?

That's complete rubbish. You are a qualified teacher but just in your 'early career'. We appoint at least one every year as they bring new ideas and are cheap [assuming they can reach!].
Original post by Muttley79
That's complete rubbish. You are a qualified teacher but just in your 'early career'. We appoint at least one every year as they bring new ideas and are cheap [assuming they can reach!].

Aha thank you for the reassurance, that's good to know!
Aha thank you for the reassurance, that's good to know!

They probably want you to stay with their group of schools. I got a job across the other side of the country in the place I wanted to live.
Depending on where you are considering teaching, Local authorities advertise jobs, so do multi academy trusts on their own websites. If you are thinking of teaching in the West Midlands there is also a site called WMjobs which advertises public sector jobs across the region. You will have Qualified Teacher Status at then end of your one year training - ECT just recognises the need for further training.

Good Luck,
Aly

Quick Reply

Latest