The Student Room Group

Switching from patch to the pill

Hi, today I have taken off my contraceptive patch and have started taking the rividegon contraceptive pill as an alternative. It was prescribed by my doctor. However, do I still need to use protection for 7 days as I’ve swapped my contraception? I’m unsure. Also, if anyone has any experiences to share on this pill then that would be great!

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, today I have taken off my contraceptive patch and have started taking the rividegon contraceptive pill as an alternative. It was prescribed by my doctor. However, do I still need to use protection for 7 days as I’ve swapped my contraception? I’m unsure. Also, if anyone has any experiences to share on this pill then that would be great!

Thanks

Yes you'll have to use protection for the first seven days.
You should have been told that by the doctor or nurse who you seen about this.

Do this: safely switch to/from one type of birth control to another by going straight from one method to the next one no gap! and use condoms or spermicide for the first 7 days.

Information from OP is about 11 year's old and been updated lots since.
(edited 1 year ago)
I see Tracey has reported my previous post. Fair enough. The most recent guidelines from the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health still agree with me though - no need for extra protection when switching from one combined hormonal contraceptive method to another if there is no gap between methods:

Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 21.42.09.png

Source: https://www.fsrh.org/standards-and-guidance/documents/combined-hormonal-contraception/

But I would still suggest checking with either your GP or pharmacist. Though using condoms as well as hormonal contraception is always a good shout.

Edit:
In fact, even the source Tracey quoted in the comment above agrees with what I said in my original post, if you scroll down to the second page:

https://www.reproductiveaccess.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/switching_bc.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks for all the help! I just wanted to make sure that’s all!

No worries 😊
The general advice is you should use protection afterwards for upto seven days but this is only guidelines that is set out. What the individual person does after being give the advice from there GP or practice nurses is entirely upto themselves.

Go with the advice given from your GP or practice nurse okay. Better safe than sorry 😐
(edited 1 year ago)

The information provided by @black tea seems quite clear.
Original post by black tea
I see Tracey has reported my previous post. Fair enough. The most recent guidelines from the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health still agree with me though - no need for extra protection when switching from one combined hormonal contraceptive method to another if there is no gap between methods:

You are quite right. The OP doesn't state where she was in her cycle at the time. Also no need to worry if starting anything on 1st day of your period.

Quick Reply

Latest