The Student Room Group

Urgent Medical school advice

Hi, in the UoB medical school website, the gcse requirements are “7 GCSE Grades inc, English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry” does that mean they only grade , 7subjects so if you get grade 8s in those 7 and say bad in 3

Does that mean still have best chances to getting in with UCAT.
Hiya,
Birmingham state that 'The subjects that will be scored are: English (both English Language and English Literature), Mathematics (or one, but not both, of Methods in Mathematics and Applications of Mathematics), Biology and Chemistry (or dual award science), plus two additional GCSEs in any subject'. Usually, this means that they will score the 5 suggested plus your other 2 highest grades. They will then use this in conjunction with your UCAT score to shortlist for interview.
I hope this helps! Did you sit the UCAT this year?

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Medic Mind
Reply 2
Original post by MedicMind
Hiya,
Birmingham state that 'The subjects that will be scored are: English (both English Language and English Literature), Mathematics (or one, but not both, of Methods in Mathematics and Applications of Mathematics), Biology and Chemistry (or dual award science), plus two additional GCSEs in any subject'. Usually, this means that they will score the 5 suggested plus your other 2 highest grades. They will then use this in conjunction with your UCAT score to shortlist for interview.
I hope this helps! Did you sit the UCAT this year?

John C
Y5 UEA Med Student
Medic Mind

Right, so if you get grade 8s in all 7 and say 6 in the other 3 your good to go right? Still have the best chances to get in?
Original post by og-iconx
Right, so if you get grade 8s in all 7 and say 6 in the other 3 your good to go right? Still have the best chances to get in?

In this instance, they would only score you based on the scores you got for those 7 GCSEs. This is the scoring system they use:

'For the subjects specified above a minimum of grade B/6 must be offered and the scores allocated to the different grades are as follows:

8 or 9/A* = 4

7/A = 2

6/B = 1 '

As long as your 8 grades included the five GCSEs that Birmingham specify, you would get the highest GCSE scoring available :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MedicMind
In this instance, they would only score you based on the scores you got for those 7 GCSEs. This is the scoring system they use:

'For the subjects specified above a minimum of grade B/6 must be offered and the scores allocated to the different grades are as follows:

8 or 9/A* = 4

7/A = 2

6/B = 1 '

As long as your 8 grades included the five GCSEs that Birmingham specify, you would get the highest GCSE scoring available :smile:

Okay thanks
Reply 5
Hi, in the UoB medical school website, the gcse requirements are “7 GCSE Grades inc, English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry” does that mean they only grade , 7subjects so if you get grade 8s in those 7 and say bad in 3

Does that mean still have best chances to getting in with UCAT.

Why is this urgent?

And you have asked and had this answered already
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=97765687&highlight=
Reply 6
Original post by GANFYD
Why is this urgent?

And you have asked and had this answered already
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=97765687&highlight=

I didn’t fully understand the first time the interview bit confused me so asked again , urgent because I want answered quickly..
Reply 7
I didn’t fully understand the first time the interview bit confused me so asked again , urgent because I want answered quickly..

So why not use the same thread, so people can see the advice you have already been given?
I am not sure "I want...." falls into the definition of urgent!

Quick Reply

Latest