The Student Room Group

3 or 4 A-levels?

I am currently, studying four A-levels Computer Science, Economics, Further Maths and Maths.

In September my school made us choose 4 A-levels and we're supposed to drop an A-level this week if we choose to. However, I am struggling to decide whether I continue to do all four subjects or drop Further Maths/Economics. As if I was to drop Economics I would be limiting my options for the future. I would also be able to do an AS-level in Further Maths, but not Economics. This would mean I would have to learn part of the course myself though, but my school would pay for videos and online tutoring. There have also been times when I've considered Computer Science to be boring and questioned whether this is the correct path.

In the future, I would like to possibly go to university and study either Economics/Computer Science. I also would like the idea of starting my own business. I was going to choose Business and Economics however my Business teacher in Year 11 said it's not worth doing both and even if I wanted to do Business at university I would still be able to do it with Economics.

I hope someone can help me and give me some advice as I really don't know what to do. Is 4 A-levels worth it?
(edited 1 year ago)
Make a pros and cons list of why you should drop a subject. Also write all the career's you wanna do in the future, find people interested in that profession and talk to them. I myself did 4 A levels, but after AS I dropped maths. The difference was unreal. I had more time for study, more time to really digest the information. Don't make any decisions unless you have gone over your choices again and again and again, because the last thing you want is to be looking back in a few years wishing you made a particular choice.

I hope this helps :smile:
You don't need either computer science or economics to study degrees in computer science or economics at university.
Original post by Pixxelz
I am currently, studying four A-levels Computer Science, Economics, Further Maths and Maths.

In September my school made us choose 4 A-levels and we're supposed to drop an A-level this week if we choose to. However, I am struggling to decide whether I continue to do all four subjects or drop Further Maths/Economics. As if I was to drop Economics I would be limiting my options for the future. I would also be able to do an AS-level in Further Maths, but not Economics. This would mean I would have to learn part of the course myself though, but my school would pay for videos and online tutoring. There have also been times when I've considered Computer Science to be boring and questioned whether this is the correct path.

In the future, I would like to possibly go to university and study either Economics/Computer Science. I also would like the idea of starting my own business. I was going to choose Business and Economics however my Business teacher in Year 11 said it's not worth doing both and even if I wanted to do Business at university I would still be able to do it with Economics.

I hope someone can help me and give me some advice as I really don't know what to do. Is 4 A-levels worth it?

How about carrying on with all 4- and just doing an AS in further maths.
(edited 1 year ago)
Do 3
Original post by Pixxelz

Heya!
As stated above you could do a pros and cons list of each subject and drop the one that has more cons than pros. Technically you don't need economics or computer science to study economics or CS as both degrees usually require maths :h: You can do a CS undergrad and then do business degree as a masters, that's what I did, I did a science undergrad degree and then am doing science and business degree which I got into due to business-related extracurricular activities I did outside of uni. Your options aren't closed just because you don't have economics a-levels, there are plenty of online courses you could check out as an extracurricular that teach you business e.g. Future Learn, Coursera and more!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest