The Student Room Group

Computer Science or Further Maths A-level

I’m currently studying Computer Science, Economics, Further Maths and Maths.

I’m supposed to drop a subject this week if I choose to and not sure if it’s worth doing 4.

In the future, I’m considering doing either Computer Science or Economics at University. When researching entry requirements for Computer Science I have seen that most universities don’t want Computer Science and prefer Further Maths over it.

Therefore, I’m struggling whether I should drop Further Maths or Computer Science. Can someone please give me some advice.
Original post by Pixxelz
I’m currently studying Computer Science, Economics, Further Maths and Maths.

I’m supposed to drop a subject this week if I choose to and not sure if it’s worth doing 4.

In the future, I’m considering doing either Computer Science or Economics at University. When researching entry requirements for Computer Science I have seen that most universities don’t want Computer Science and prefer Further Maths over it.

Therefore, I’m struggling whether I should drop Further Maths or Computer Science. Can someone please give me some advice.

If your reason for selecting which of these two subjects to drop is solely based upon the desirability of those subjects for undergraduate degrees in Computer Science and Economics, then (as you've said yourself) the logical thing to do would be to drop Computer Science and retain Further Mathematics.

However, you should also take into account which of the two subjects you enjoy more and which you think you're likely to get a better grade it. Despite the preference for Further Mathematics by universities, getting an A* in Computer Science would be better than getting a B in Further Mathematics.

Quick Reply

Latest