The Student Room Group

MSc Space Engineering

I’m a recent BEng Aerospace graduate, hoping to pursue Msc in Space Engg this spring/fall ‘23.
UCL,Surrey,Cranfield and Southampton are my choices in that order (chose Surrey over Cranfield only coz they have a Feb ‘23 intake).
Most threads regarding these unis are form before Covid, would be nice to get more info about the unis post covid.
I’ve heard Southampton is very good overall but the student satisfaction is poor, while Cranfield and Surrey are the everyone’s favourite.
UCL is well reputed around the world and considering it’s a London based uni makes it quite desirable.
Any help would be appreciated.!!
Original post by mman4811
I’m a recent BEng Aerospace graduate, hoping to pursue Msc in Space Engg this spring/fall ‘23.
UCL,Surrey,Cranfield and Southampton are my choices in that order (chose Surrey over Cranfield only coz they have a Feb ‘23 intake).
Most threads regarding these unis are form before Covid, would be nice to get more info about the unis post covid.
I’ve heard Southampton is very good overall but the student satisfaction is poor, while Cranfield and Surrey are the everyone’s favourite.
UCL is well reputed around the world and considering it’s a London based uni makes it quite desirable.

Hi there 😊

So glad you are considering Cranfield for your MSc!

Since you mentioned student satisfaction, I think its important to get as many opinions as possible. I personally didn’t study space engineering, but we have a great chat function on our website that allows you to chat to many different students from many courses!
Currently, we are recruiting new student ambassadors for 2022/23, and getting them set up on our system, but you should still be able to find someone with experience in that department by filtering ‘theme’ to ‘aerospace’ in the link below:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/ambassador-chat

I started in Cranfield in September 2020, so pretty much peak pandemic! But last year (21/22) and this year nearly everything has been in-person, with a real emphasis on getting things back to a pre-COVID state! This is true for lectures and teaching, but there’s also been many different field trips just in this academic year alone (and it’s only November) and plenty of events across the campus (like the free fireworks display last week for Guy Fawkes).

The international and industrial reputation this MSc holds is undeniable, and will really give you a boost when you enter the job market. Cranfield has a close relationship with many leading employers, even having an Industrial Advisory Panel to keep the course relevant. These representatives from Airbus DS, Open Cosmos, Tele****io, Oxford Space Systems, UK Launch Services Ltd and Eumetsat ensure you’ll become a highly valuable candidate!
On top of that, many individual projects are often in collaboration with industry, with recent ones from Thermal Analysis of a Google Lunar X-Prize Rover, CubeSat Ground Station Implementation, Responsive Space and Concurrent Engineering, Space Suit Performance During Seat Ingress/Egress, Radar Data Simulation for Soil Moisture Estimation. These allow you to gain insight into how that company works, and demonstrate that you can put into practice the skills you learned in the classroom. You can also get networking before you graduate!
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/courses/taught/astronautics-and-space-engineering?gclid=CjwKCAiA9qKbBhAzEiwAS4yeDYH1vWeexWoaN4Gz7zyFnbkbjXnrem9_uvc5RX2aLBWLOKdDifTyDRoChhQQAvD_BwE

Cranfield also has some of the best facilities in the world, like National Flying Laboratory Centre’s (NFLC) light aircraft. Students get to have real flight experience, which you can read more about here:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/themes/aerospace/student-experience-flight
Experience is a great thing, and experiencing G force is something quite rare (and cool)!

I definitely can’t cover everything about Cranfield, and the course, in one post, but if you have any additional questions or want info about specific things, just drop them below and I’ll do my best to answer them!
Or you can leave them on the Cranfield TSR page here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1398

Best of luck with your decision!
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Original post by mman4811

UCL has much poorer student satisfaction for engineering than Southampton. The aerospace engineers I knew from Southampton were all pretty happy with the course. Personally I'd put Southampton well above Surrey and UCL and comparable with Cranfield, on academic and industry link bases.

Being based in London for a 1 year MSc is basically meaningless. You likely will be too busy to make much benefit of the London amenities, you'll have to pay much more for rent, and in engineering being based in London is not any benefit (a lot of the UK aerospace industry is in fact located in the south, around Bristol/Bath in particular, with some more areas dotted around the south coast area - so Southampton is likely to be better location wise in fact).

Quick Reply