The Student Room Group

Nursing help

Hi,
I took a gap year, and I am planning to resit my a levels, but I changed my career path.
At first I wanted to do something in History but I didn't decide yet but thinking about it I realised that it wasn't the best option because of job security and even getting a job in the first place other than a teacher. I changed my mind to nursing instead cause of job security and the pay. so I wanted to ask some questions

First are my a levels alright to apply I do Chemistry, History and English Literature I know they aren't the best but I don't know what to do

How should I apply since the nursing applications are done should I just wait until clearing to apply to unis?

what unis in Birmingham are the best to apply ?

and what to do in the rest of the gap year to prepare?

Thank you
Original post by muz34
Hi,
I took a gap year, and I am planning to resit my a levels, but I changed my career path.
At first I wanted to do something in History but I didn't decide yet but thinking about it I realised that it wasn't the best option because of job security and even getting a job in the first place other than a teacher. I changed my mind to nursing instead cause of job security and the pay. so I wanted to ask some questions

First are my a levels alright to apply I do Chemistry, History and English Literature I know they aren't the best but I don't know what to do

How should I apply since the nursing applications are done should I just wait until clearing to apply to unis?

Thank you

I think I can answer some of the questions, but I am not studying nursing nor have I done nursing (or would consider it, no offense), so it might be worthwhile to get a second opinion from a more credible source

As far as I know, you can apply with random A Level subjects, so long they are of the right grades. However, each uni will have their own requirements, so it's better to double check on the specific course that you want to apply for.

Nursing is one of those courses that have a long winded application process (but for a good reason). In addition to getting your application through, you would also need to get to pass DBS, show that you're fit to be a nurse (mental health, physical health), have the right attitude, etc.
In other words, you will likely require to apply in the next cycle after you have submitted your UCAS application in January.

Probably Birmingham Uni, but irrespective of the uni it needs to be approved by the NMC:
https://www.nmc.org.uk/education/approved-programmes/
I have spotted 2 universities in Birmingham that have approved courses.

what to do in the rest of the gap year to prepare?
I would try to get some work experience in nursing environments e.g. ask doctors or nurses at a local hospital and see if you can volunteer for a few days to see what it's like. Talk to nurses and ask what it's like being a nurse.
If you can't get lengthly terms working under a nurse or in a nurse related role, then I would recommend looking into care work in care homes. They tend to be the default option for students before they go into nursing.

Note: If you're purely going into nursing for job security and pay, you would be severely disappointed. Nursing is an intense job, with long hours, and oftne difficult people under a bureaucratic system. It's not a particularly fun job, and it will take a lot out of you. Those who go in it do it for very specific reasons, usually for reasons not associated with pay or job security (they get paid little from the last time I have heard) e.g. because it's rewarding and they love working in care. For what they do have to put themselves through, we can pretty much regard them as heroes, which is one of the many reasons why we have praised them so much throughout the pandemic.
If you're not going into nursing for the right reasons, then I strongly suggest you rethink your career path.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by muz34
Hi,

Thank you

Hi
Congratulations on thinking about doing nursing as a career as it's a worthwhile job to do, it's not all about the money but the pay is still going to be better than most jobs for similar hours and as you said it's a job that is secured as well for you.

Look at your chosen universities for there entry requirements for nursing courses as this way you'll know exactly what you'll require.
You can contact UCAS for further advice on this matter.

Entry requirements that you'll need is below:-
Entry requirements for nursing degree courses vary because each university sets its own entry criteria, but you are likely to need at least two (usually three) A-levels or equivalent qualifications at level 3, plus supporting GCSEs including English, maths and a science (usually biology or human biology). Contact universities directly to find out whether qualifications equivalent to A-levels or GCSEs are acceptable.

Courses often specify preferred or essential A-level or equivalent subjects, such as one science (for example biology) or social science (for example psychology). Some universities offer courses with a foundation year for those without the necessary entry qualifications.

@Emily_B. @Tracey_W any further advice yous can add to this please 🥺.
Original post by muz34
Hi,

Thank you

Your A levels are absolutely fine for nursing. My A levels were History, German and Maths; my husband's were History, Geography, Music. We're both now registered nurses, with the degree and some experience under our belts. Have a look at individual university websites: some have preferred subjects (with Chemistry tending to be one of them), some just ask for 3 A levels.

Applications for nursing are definitely NOT "done" - they are still open with the same equal consideration deadline as everything else. Please don't wait for clearing, get your application in.

There is no "best" uni anywhere to apply to. When it comes to your studies, the 3 things that matter in the world of nursing are 1) you interviewed well enough 2) you have proof of your NMC registration 3) you have proof you passed an NMC accredited nursing degree. Get some research done into what university will be best for you - and take which hospital/community trusts and private sectors each university uses for placement into consideration for commuting purposes.

I would highly recommend you getting some work experience in healthcare before jumping into a nursing degree, though: as already mentioned, going into nursing purely for the job security really isn't a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending