The Student Room Group

MA Dissertation failed as international student

Hey. I just received my dissertation results and it is 49% with 50% being the minimum to pass. This is not necessary the root of my problem though I am quite shocked as I worked on it intensely over several months and truly liked what I had written.

I have been offered the chance to resubmit by Feb 1 which, of course, I intend on doing. However, that deadline is past my visa expiry date and the school will not sponsor an extension since a dissertation can be completed remotely. I will no longer be eligible for the graduate visa once my current study visa is expired and I will no longer be allowed to stay in the UK. I am beside myself, because part of the reason I took up an MA in the UK was so that I could stay on after. Not to mention, I now have a significant other here and we were planning on living together once I was able to get onto the graduate visa.

What is upsetting is that I received high-merit level marks on all of my modules at first attempt, and now, because I am 1% under passing my dissertation my entire life and immigration status is at risk of being blown to pieces. Even worse, that 1 little percentage point could put an ocean and a continent between myself and my significant other. What do I do? I don't think immigration status is grounds to appeal an assessment outcome. My eyes have never been drier.
I am so sorry to hear about your disappointment - there is often a big difference between what is required at dissertation vs what works in a module, so it's not surprising you have a range of results. However, it must be very upsetting. I am sure you have already talked with the convenor of your particular Masters course to explore your options (although if not, I would suggest you do so as a matter of urgency).

I am also so sorry and embarrassed that my country's bizarre and hostile immigration rules are going to upset your plans so much. There is really no excuse for it - immigrants have brought so much good to this country, it's just weird that we do not welcome them.

I fear that you may need to focus on damage limitation - you can still work out what needs to change for your dissertation to pass, you can maybe still find a way to live with your partner (albiet not in your preferred country). I would caution you though - 49% is a pretty strong message. It is unlikely that there will be a range of minor things you can easily fix in your dissertation to pull it up one percent. It is much more like that there are one or more big serious flaws that your markers just couldn't overlook, despite the quality of the rest of the work.

I really do wish you the very best of luck.
Unfortunately, you aren't going to be able to appeal due to your immigration status. You can't even appeal matters of academic judgment normally (e.g. they gave you a 49% and you thought you deserved higher) - normally you can only appeal procedural issues (e.g. they told you to submit in one format and then you did and you failed because they actually wanted you to submit in another format they never told you about, or something).

For the visa matters you may wish to discuss with your student union or your local citizen's advice bureau. However I imagine you may need to look into other visa options going forward, and in the meantime focus on the corrections for your dissertation.
Original post by ejohn
Hey. I just received my dissertation results and it is 49% with 50% being the minimum to pass. This is not necessary the root of my problem though I am quite shocked as I worked on it intensely over several months and truly liked what I had written.

I have been offered the chance to resubmit by Feb 1 which, of course, I intend on doing. However, that deadline is past my visa expiry date and the school will not sponsor an extension since a dissertation can be completed remotely. I will no longer be eligible for the graduate visa once my current study visa is expired and I will no longer be allowed to stay in the UK. I am beside myself, because part of the reason I took up an MA in the UK was so that I could stay on after. Not to mention, I now have a significant other here and we were planning on living together once I was able to get onto the graduate visa.

What is upsetting is that I received high-merit level marks on all of my modules at first attempt, and now, because I am 1% under passing my dissertation my entire life and immigration status is at risk of being blown to pieces. Even worse, that 1 little percentage point could put an ocean and a continent between myself and my significant other. What do I do? I don't think immigration status is grounds to appeal an assessment outcome. My eyes have never been drier.

Isn't one option to resubmit before your visa runs out? When is that?
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Isn't one option to resubmit before your visa runs out? When is that?

My visa expires on January 19th, and the resubmit deadline is February 1st. The question is if an early submission will receive an early result. I am currently awaiting an answer from my University to that question.
Original post by ejohn
My visa expires on January 19th, and the resubmit deadline is February 1st. The question is if an early submission will receive an early result. I am currently awaiting an answer from my University to that question.

Surely this is the solution to your problem - resubmit before your visa expires. Even if you have to return to your home country for a short period whilst it is marked, at least you have submitted and thus would be able to return on a graduate visa (would an online viva be an option?). 19 January is over eight weeks away, and if you're only short by 1%, it really shouldn't be difficult to get it over the line in that time.
Reply 6
Hi, my bf is in the same situation and we are both so stressed :frown: I'm aware that you can only apply for PSW whilst being in the UK. So what was the outcome for you? Are you still living in the UK? Please reply. I'm in desperate need of advice from someone who is in the same situation
Reply 7
Original post by Pikachu_1
Hi, my bf is in the same situation and we are both so stressed :frown: I'm aware that you can only apply for PSW whilst being in the UK. So what was the outcome for you? Are you still living in the UK? Please reply. I'm in desperate need of advice from someone who is in the same situation

Hi
Please can I have an update on your situation?
Me and my partner are in the same boat right now
Reply 8
Original post by Anoud123
Hi
Please can I have an update on your situation?
Me and my partner are in the same boat right now

Hi, he appealed to the university about having mental health struggles so he has been given another chance to submit his dissertation. I hope it works out for you!
Reply 9
Original post by Pikachu_1
Hi, he appealed to the university about having mental health struggles so he has been given another chance to submit his dissertation. I hope it works out for you!

Hi,
Have they given you a date on when you'll be able to resubmit? Is it a resubmit or a resit? My partner and I cannot afford to resit as it would affect the psw we were looking to get.
Please can I have an email to contact you to further discuss this with you

Latest

Trending

Trending