The Student Room Group

How to get onto a degree apprenticeship?

I already have a degree but I have an interest in Ecology, Conservation and/or Environmental Science. Since I can't get full degree funding, I'm thinking of doing a Degree Apprenticeship in something environmental.

I was thinking of studying Environmental Science at the Open University, but am more interested in the Ecology and Conservation branch and am worried Environmental Science would be too broad a degree subject.

I've been doing research on degree apprenticeships, but most of what I've found is tailored towards employers, so I don't really fully understand the process. Can I apply directly for a degree apprenticeship? Or do I need to apply to a specific job and they will sort the degree part out?

I'm just honestly unsure of how to proceed.

Also, if anyone has any other tips on how to get into a career in Ecology or related that I haven't thought of, that would be very welcomed :smile:

Thanks in advance
Original post by usignolarosa
I already have a degree but I have an interest in Ecology, Conservation and/or Environmental Science. Since I can't get full degree funding, I'm thinking of doing a Degree Apprenticeship in something environmental.

I was thinking of studying Environmental Science at the Open University, but am more interested in the Ecology and Conservation branch and am worried Environmental Science would be too broad a degree subject.

I've been doing research on degree apprenticeships, but most of what I've found is tailored towards employers, so I don't really fully understand the process. Can I apply directly for a degree apprenticeship? Or do I need to apply to a specific job and they will sort the degree part out?

I'm just honestly unsure of how to proceed.

Also, if anyone has any other tips on how to get into a career in Ecology or related that I haven't thought of, that would be very welcomed :smile:

Thanks in advance

Most graduate degree apprentices like myself will tell you the university degree was the least significant or impactful aspect of their education. Competence is gained from on-the-job learning per the apprenticeship standard delivered by the employer.

I would look to see if there are any apprenticeship standards that align with your goals here:
https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/?levels=6

This would help indicate if you can expect any relevant vacancies to crop up between now and the new academic year.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest