The Student Room Group

English students in Scottish Universities

I'm a Year 13 Student in England. I'm thinking of applying to Maths at Edinburgh, and possibly Glasgow. I visited Edinburgh and really liked it - at the moment it's my top choice. Since then I've heard third- and fourth-hand stories from family members about Scottish prejudice against English students, having no friends and feeling alienated etc. I come from quite a mixed background so going into a new environment away from home doesn't particularly worry me, but I was curious if anybody has actually had this experience?
Original post by syckatoa
I'm a Year 13 Student in England. I'm thinking of applying to Maths at Edinburgh, and possibly Glasgow. I visited Edinburgh and really liked it - at the moment it's my top choice. Since then I've heard third- and fourth-hand stories from family members about Scottish prejudice against English students, having no friends and feeling alienated etc. I come from quite a mixed background so going into a new environment away from home doesn't particularly worry me, but I was curious if anybody has actually had this experience?

They will only dislike you if you're an annoying English tory. From my experience of being in Scotland a lot bc of family, if you're kind and respectful and understand why Scots (but not all) dislike the typical English person that applies to Edinburgh (tory, rich, privileged etc.), you will fit in well.
Reply 2
Original post by catonfire
They will only dislike you if you're an annoying English tory. From my experience of being in Scotland a lot bc of family, if you're kind and respectful and understand why Scots (but not all) dislike the typical English person that applies to Edinburgh (tory, rich, privileged etc.), you will fit in well.

That does make sense, thanks for responding!
@Blue_Cow studies (studied?) at Edinburgh, not sure if they are RUK or Scots but might be able to give some anecdotal remarks in any case on that front :smile:

I imagine as long as you're not a prick you'll be fine (and based on my experiences with Scottish folks elsewhere, they'll tell you upfront if you are being one!) :wink:

I graduated from Edinburgh - was an rUK (from England) student and there is no discrimination or bad treatment. Sure, you might get the odd joke now and again especially because of the **** show that is Westminster, but it's a joke and no one will unfairly treat you because of it.

Hey @syckatoa :biggrin: I'd say Scotland is super welcoming as a whole so don't worry! Like everyone else has said here, if you're coming up with a good attitude and ready to start your studies off on a good foot then you'll be absolutely great. Lots of students do move from England/Wales/Northern Ireland to study here and love it, so you wouldn't be the only one moving. Students come from all over the UK, and all over the world even, to study in Scotland and so you'd meet people from all over.

I'd say Scots are really friendly and good fun (admittedly I'm biased as I'm from here!). We've a great sense of humour and I'm sure you'd fit in just great if you're ready to embrace all of that! :dance: Why not try and visit Edinburgh and Glasgow again and attend visit days? If you make a trip of comparing the two and spending a wee bit more time here that might let you visualise your student life better. Have a look on the University websites to see if they use anything like Unibuddy too - maybe you could find an English student who could share their experiences with you?

Good luck whatever you decide!

Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 6
Thank you everybody!

I haven't been able to visit Glasgow as I live very far away, but I like the look of the city and the course so will probably end up applying there. I was also considering Nottingham and Birmingham but I'm not too keen on a campus. I was wondering how competitive it is to get in, like I've understood Edinburgh is? And how well regarded is their Maths course?

@Blue_Cow thanks for the insight. What course did you do, if you don't mind me asking? Because of the madness of tuition fees I'm going to apply for 2nd year (some call it 'direct'?) entry; did you know of many people who did?
Thank you everybody!

I haven't been able to visit Glasgow as I live very far away, but I like the look of the city and the course so will probably end up applying there. I was also considering Nottingham and Birmingham but I'm not too keen on a campus. I was wondering how competitive it is to get in, like I've understood Edinburgh is? And how well regarded is their Maths course?

@Blue_Cow thanks for the insight. What course did you do, if you don't mind me asking? Because of the madness of tuition fees I'm going to apply for 2nd year (some call it 'direct'?) entry; did you know of many people who did?

I did Computer Science. Direct entry was scrapped for it a few years back, I think. Too many people dropped back down to year 1.

I know 1 person that did direct entry maths and they coped fine. Did say it was quite difficult but that is to be expected when you compress 2 years into 1 (which isn't directly comparable to an English pre-honours year).
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest