Turn on thread page Beta

Transfering Files From two Laptops watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    yeah, basically i have two laptops, and since most of the files i wish to transfer are quite big, i was wondering if there is a cheap method of doing this and how to do it.
    I did some searching and came across a "crossover cable" will it work? and how do i set it up and where can i buy one.

thnx

ReputationRep:
    well crossover cables were needed in the olden days. most NIC's now can automatically detect the connection meaning you can use a standard patch cable between 2 like devices, and it will still work
    dont go to pc world to get one, they should cost £1 at most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    well crossover cables were needed in the olden days. most NIC's now can automatically detect the connection meaning you can use a standard patch cable between 2 like devices, and it will still work
    dont go to pc world to get one, they should cost £1 at most
    so can the cable i am currently using to go on the internet(broadband) work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparrow Hawk)
    so can the cable i am currently using to go on the internet(broadband) work?
    urmmm
    u need to elaborate.
    do all your pc's connect to a router, then the phone line. or is the router a usb one connected to one computer.

if you dont know, see if it fits the rj-45 port on the laptop. if it does, then yes.. its the right cable.

ReputationRep:
    I think you would need a crossover cable havent had it working with a standard patch myself.

Easy once you have the cable just plug the cable into both laptops.
    Start, connect to, show all conenctions

right click on Local Area Connection, properties

Click on Internet protocol TCP/IP, properties
    In IP: 192.168.0.1
    in Subnet 255.255.255.0
    in defualt gateway 192.168.0.2

do the same on the other laptop but...

In IP: 192.168.0.2
    in Subnet 255.255.255.0
    in defualt gateway 192.168.0.1

right click my computer, computer name make sure the WORKGROUP is the same on both.

right click on the folders or your whole HDD, sharign and enable sharing

Then if you go to my network places, workgroup computers you should be able to see each laptop and it the shared folders.

Follow this and it should work HTH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_cool)
    I think you would need a crossover cable havent had it working with a standard patch myself.

Easy once you have the cable just plug the cable into both laptops.
    Start, connect to, show all conenctions

right click on Local Area Connection, properties

Click on Internet protocol TCP/IP, properties
    In IP: 192.168.0.1
    in Subnet 255.255.255.0
    in defualt gateway 192.168.0.2

do the same on the other laptop but...

In IP: 192.168.0.2
    in Subnet 255.255.255.0
    in defualt gateway 192.168.0.1

right click my computer, computr name make sure the WORKGROUp is the same on both.

right click on the folders or your whole HDD, sharign and enable sharing

Then if you go to my network places, workgroup computers you should be able to see each laptop and it the shared folders.
    why not leave this so they are assigned by DHCP?
    then it wont mess it up when they are connected to the router

ReputationRep:
    Alex - Thats all very well but I have never had it working with a crossover without doing it that way. Yes it would unless they set it back to auto if they use a router via ethernet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    urmmm
    u need to elaborate.
    do all your pc's connect to a router, then the phone line. or is the router a usb one connected to one computer.

if you dont know, see if it fits the rj-45 port on the laptop. if it does, then yes.. its the right cable.
    the pc is connected by, i think the ethernet port, at least its not the dial up port thats for sure. then to router, router to phone line to socket in wall.

ReputationRep:
    if you have a spare Ethernet cable try it, if it doesn't work then you can make a crossover cable from it in about 2 minutes. cut the cable and then bare a little wire and then just connect orange to green; green to orange; orange_white to green_white and green_white to orange_white. you don't need to bother with the other wires (just tape them off).easy.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.