The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy 2nd year placements - how common is a fail?

Hi all

My sister is currently in her second year of studying Physio at Uni of Leicester and is really enjoying it! The issue we have is I'm trying to plan and book my wedding that's happening abroad for summer 2023 but we're struggling to find a time when she is completey free as her summer term doesn't finish until the end of June, and then her tutor has told her to keep the last week of August and the first week of September free in case of exam resits which is far enough.

But they have also said that she should keep July free too in case she fails her placement. So this then only leaves two fully free weeks in August.

So my question is, is it common to fail a placement?

And would it be too risky to plan the wedding for July with the hope that she won't fail her placements?

Thanks all for your help!
Original post by jennytegan
Hi all

My sister is currently in her second year of studying Physio at Uni of Leicester and is really enjoying it! The issue we have is I'm trying to plan and book my wedding that's happening abroad for summer 2023 but we're struggling to find a time when she is completey free as her summer term doesn't finish until the end of June, and then her tutor has told her to keep the last week of August and the first week of September free in case of exam resits which is far enough.

But they have also said that she should keep July free too in case she fails her placement. So this then only leaves two fully free weeks in August.

And would it be too risky to plan the wedding for July with the hope that she won't fail her placements?

Yes, people do fail placements, and those placements have to be retrieved in the available period if the student is to progress to the next academic year. I presume your sister had at least one placement in her first year - how did that go? If she feels relatively confident about her upcoming placement(s), then you can take a calculated risk and book something in July. If the worst happens, then she might have to miss it, but in all likelihood she'll pass the placement (so long as there isn't any evidence to the contrary).

I would go ahead and book something in July, but accept that you can't 100% guarantee that something placement-wise might crop up.
Original post by jennytegan
Hi all

You have 2 weeks in August when your sister definitely won't have anything on. That's not "struggling" to find time where she's definitely completely free: it just doesn't coincide with your plan of a July wedding.

It's not common to fail placements. An average placement block? My ward gets sent 6-10 students. Retrieval placements over the summer? We never get more than 1. Talking to our practice education team, it tends to be 5-6 max out of a cohort of 120-160 students each year who fail a placement and have to re-do it.

If you're desperate for a July wedding, book it and hope that your sister passes all her placements/can get to your wedding while on placement. If you don't want the potential faff of sorting out getting to your sister to your wedding while on placement, book it for within that couple of weeks in August.
Reply 3
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, people do fail placements, and those placements have to be retrieved in the available period if the student is to progress to the next academic year. I presume your sister had at least one placement in her first year - how did that go? If she feels relatively confident about her upcoming placement(s), then you can take a calculated risk and book something in July. If the worst happens, then she might have to miss it, but in all likelihood she'll pass the placement (so long as there isn't any evidence to the contrary).

I would go ahead and book something in July, but accept that you can't 100% guarantee that something placement-wise might crop up.

Thank you for replying! It certainly gave me a good perspective on my sister's placement and has led me to think that I don't want to add any additional pressure to her already full on uni course with the risk over her head that if she fails a placement she can't come to my wedding. So much so that I would rather her be less stressed so I will likely have a uk celebration for my family and just myself and my partner will elope abroad for the wedding.

Thanks again!
Reply 4
Original post by Emily_B
You have 2 weeks in August when your sister definitely won't have anything on. That's not "struggling" to find time where she's definitely completely free: it just doesn't coincide with your plan of a July wedding.

It's not common to fail placements. An average placement block? My ward gets sent 6-10 students. Retrieval placements over the summer? We never get more than 1. Talking to our practice education team, it tends to be 5-6 max out of a cohort of 120-160 students each year who fail a placement and have to re-do it.

If you're desperate for a July wedding, book it and hope that your sister passes all her placements/can get to your wedding while on placement. If you don't want the potential faff of sorting out getting to your sister to your wedding while on placement, book it for within that couple of weeks in August.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

The trouble with the free two weeks in August is that the resit exams are not officially confirmed for the given weeks so there still could be an issue, but mainly the cost honestly skyrockets in August.

Thank you for giving me the numbers and the reality of the placements, it really made me think if it was all worth the extra anxiety and stress I would be adding to my sister by forcing her to have no back up plan (because I know she would put that pressure on herself to pass her placements).

So it really has led to me rethinking my wedding plans so that they are more forgiving for my sister, with a simple celebtration in the UK, and myself and my partner will likely get married abroad on our own.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending