The Student Room Group

Can you be friends with someone with different political views than you?

Can you get along or will it be an obstacle? This is if they’re vocal about it
No. A good example is Stalin and Trotsky.
It’s not difficult if both people are decent people i.e. have integrity and not living on a morality complex (I find these people regardless of views largely intolerable to be around).
Nobody will share exactly the same views on every topic as someone else. I don't subscribe to a particular party or ideology because I like to assess each issue objectively. I am open to changing my opinions and I like to be surrounded by people who challenge me in a healthy way. I wouldn't really want to be friends with someone who was confrontational or argumentative. People can disagree respectfully.
Original post by YaliaV123
Nobody will share exactly the same views on every topic as someone else. I don't subscribe to a particular party or ideology because I like to assess each issue objectively. I am open to changing my opinions and I like to be surrounded by people who challenge me in a healthy way. I wouldn't really want to be friends with someone who was confrontational or argumentative. People can disagree respectfully.

That’s pretty reasonable I like that. I guess I ask the question as I have a friend who in many ways is a decent person and isn’t confronts however is vocal about hating feminists and BLM- so idk how to approach it.
Yes. it is hugely dependent on how they voice their opinions and how open they are to different ideas or thoughts. If they are are open minded person it should make the friendship even more fun because you can have debates about it. Or if it going to start issues don't talk about it there's loads of other things to talk about other than politics.
Yes.
It is not difficult as long as neither individual is militant in their opinions, prone to conversion agendas or highly malicious tactics and both are committed to a positive & healthy friendship.

I am close friends with quite a few people who hold very different political opinions to me and each other.
From class war tuas to pence supporters, hardcore dup to revolutionary feminists, attaturk supporters, scottish nationalists, wrp, farage supporters, pahlavi restoration royalists, irish republicans and israeli nationalists.
It is possible for some people. I think it really depends on how strong both of your political views are.

Quick Reply