This discussion is closed.
Alice2411
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
If i said an enyzme was degraded, does that mean the same as denatured?
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I would associate degradation with the actual breakdown of the primary structure (ie peptide bonds broken), whereas denaturing is the breakdown of the tertiary structure (ie protein shape).
anchemis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
err... depends on degradation... sometimes enzymes degrade due to excessive use... no catalyst can be used indefinitely...... denaturation is the break down of the bonds holding the amino acids in place and thus affecting the shape...
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm with oxymoron - degredation usually equals destruction of structure/sequence - protein degredation is a little more that just a break down on the bonds, it's a breakdown of the material - frequently by ubiqutination.

Degradation is more related to functional loss of activity - some denatured enzymes can be renatures and return to full activity under certain conditions
i.e. lysozyme + 8M Urea + 2-mercaptoethanol ---> denaturation = 'random coil' ---> dialysis ---> renatured fully functional lysozyme.
Golden Maverick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
I'm with oxymoron - degredation usually equals destruction of structure/sequence - protein degredation is a little more that just a break down on the bonds, it's a breakdown of the material - frequently by ubiqutination.

Degradation is more related to functional loss of activity - some denatured enzymes can be renatures and return to full activity under certain conditions
i.e. lysozyme + 8M Urea + 2-mercaptoethanol ---> denaturation = 'random coil' ---> dialysis ---> renatured fully functional lysozyme.
I think you mean denaturation?
I agree though with you two.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Golden Maverick)
I think you mean denaturation?
I agree though with you two.

Yes I did - I was typing in a hurry as I needed to go out!

And I think you meant 'too' :p: (dorry I am a pedant!)
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol ... he could have meant two I suppose if he meant you and me .... ? (and you thought YOU were a pedant! :p:)
Golden Maverick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by oxymoron)
lol ... he could have meant two I suppose if he meant you and me .... ? (and you thought YOU were a pedant! :p:)
That is what I meant, lol, is there something about scientists and pedantry?
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Damn... racks brains for a pedantic come back... can't think of one, goes out for a fry up
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads