This discussion is closed.
THE PROPHETOR!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hello there...

Some of you may remember that a forum was started a little while ago with statistical data about what universities most solicitors go to. I am starting this thread to ask if anyone can re-post this data, as I have been unable to locate it. I have, however, found the pupilage/university data.

Thank you

Jason
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
I have, however, found the pupilage/university data.
Was that my thread?
THE PROPHETOR!
Rep:
?
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Was that my thread?
He he, yes it was. Thanks for that

Jason
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hello there...

Some of you may remember that a forum was started a little while ago with statistical data about what universities most solicitors go to. I am starting this thread to ask if anyone can re-post this data, as I have been unable to locate it. I have, however, found the pupilage/university data.

Thank you

Jason
Generally anywhere in the top 40/50 of the league tables (for Law).

Anywhere lower than that and I think that there is a struggle to get taken seriously.
kingslaw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Generally anywhere in the top 40/50 of the league tables (for Law).

Anywhere lower than that and I think that there is a struggle to get taken seriously.
Top 40/50?! I would have thought most solicitors came from top 20 law firms.

An easy way to check the type of law firms that recruit from a certain university is to check the firms that attend their Law Fairs (if they have one at all). If Clifford Chance/Baker & McKenzie turn up, its a pretty good law school to go to.
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well of the two I work with, one went to Oxford and the other actually did a history degree as a mature student at ... B-something college in london. He'd already trained as a lawyer before he did his degree, which is why he did history - he wanted a break from the law :p:

Anyway, the trainee I recently worked with graduated from Southampton which, if you look at the Guardian, is 42nd for Law (it comes below Oxford Brookes for God's sake!!). I don't know what to think about those league tables!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
...and the other actually did a history degree as a mature student at ... B-something college in london.
Birkbeck College, London.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It might be worth asking if there are any statistics that either the Law Society has or LPC providers has on university backgrounds of solicitors. I have known a solicitor who studied at Nottingham Trent University.
kingslaw
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
It might be worth asking if there are any statistics that either the Law Society has or LPC providers has on university backgrounds of solicitors. I have known a solicitor who studied at Nottingham Trent University.
When I did work experience at Eversheds in Manchester, I met solicitors who came from Huddersfield, Lancaster and Sheffield Hallam. In fact, I recall being suprised at the lack of lawyers from the more prestigious places. And Eversheds is a pretty big law firm.
jamiepuk17
Report 14 years ago
When I did work experience in a mainly corporate law firm in London, the solicitors on the floor I was on went to: Manchester, Leeds, Warwick, Exeter.
THE PROPHETOR!
Rep:
?
(Original post by kingslaw)
Top 40/50?! I would have thought most solicitors came from top 20 law firms.

An easy way to check the type of law firms that recruit from a certain university is to check the firms that attend their Law Fairs (if they have one at all). If Clifford Chance/Baker & McKenzie turn up, its a pretty good law school to go to.
How would one find out this information? Other than actually going to a universities law fair?

Thanks

Jason
tomcoolinguk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
How would one find out this information? Other than actually going to a universities law fair?

Thanks

Jason
it is generally posted on their law soc website
or on the grad recruitment pages of [some] magic circle firms
THE PROPHETOR!
Rep:
?
(Original post by tomcoolinguk)
it is generally posted on their law soc website
or on the grad recruitment pages of [some] magic circle firms
Excellent, Thanks.

All these firms visit Birmingham =

Addleshaw Goddard
Allen & Overy
Anthony Collins
Ashurst
Baker & McKenzie
Barlow Lyde & Gilbert
Beachcroft Wansbroughs
Berwin Leighton Paisner
SJ Berwin
Browne Jacobson
Clifford Chance
Clyde & Co
CMS Cameron McKenna
Cobbetts
Dechert
DLA
Eversheds
Freethcartwright
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Gateley Wareing
Hammonds
Herbert Smith
Higgs and Sons
Howes Percival
Ince & Co
Law Commission
Lewis Silkin
Linklaters
Lovells
Macfarlanes
Martineau Johnson
Masons
Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw
Mills & Reeve
Nabarro Nathanson
Nicholson Graham & Jones
Norton Rose
Olswang
Osborne Clarke
Pinsents
Reynolds Porter Chamberlain
Richards Butler
Shoosmiths
Simmons & Simmons
Slaughter and May
Stephenson Harwood
Taylor Walton
Taylor Wessing
Travers Smith
Trowers & Hamlins
Weightmans
Weil Gotshal & Manges
Wragge & Co

Is this good? How would you rate Birmingham's employability? Would you say Birmingham is in the top 20 or law uni's?

Thanks

Jason
muncrun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Prophetor - this might sound a little biased, but I'm trying to be as objective as I can here:

As you can see, pretty much every City firm worth its salt goes to the Birmingham Law Fair. Admittedly, there's a notable lack of US firms, but that doesn't necessarily reflect their view of the uni - US outfits in London tend to be smaller operations and so do not have the resources to recruit beyond the very upper echelons of law schools. (I think it's Vitriol who'a about to start training with a US firm, and he's from Newcastle). There's also a few lesser known local firms on that list.

Further, most of the top firms (MC and the 'chasing pack') hold other events such as drinks receptions, buffets, dinners, corporate and career workshops.

A law firm would neither waste the time nor money in doing all these things if it wasn't serious about taking on such students. I think it is fair to say that a law degree from Birmingham is viewed with pretty much equal respect as most of the rest of the top 20. They merely want to see that you have the requisite academics at A level, and the required class of degree (generally 2:1 +) - it does not concern them too much where that 2:1 or above came from unless it's outside the top 20 or from Oxbridge. Beyond this they are concerned with what you do outside your studies, and it almost needn't be said that this is not dependent on your choice of university.
Aj2003
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
At my work experience, one of the solicitors in the 2nd year of her training contract acquired her degree from University College Northampton, i'm pretty sure she got a 2:1. The other 2 members of staff there had taken the ILEX route as paralegals.
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by muncrun)
Prophetor - this might sound a little biased, but I'm trying to be as objective as I can here:

As you can see, pretty much every City firm worth its salt goes to the Birmingham Law Fair. Admittedly, there's a notable lack of US firms, but that doesn't necessarily reflect their view on the uni - US outfits in London tend to be smaller operations and so do not have the resources to recruit beyond the very upper echelons of law schools. (I think it's Vitriol that's about to start to train with a US firm, and he's from Newcastle). There's also a few lesser known local firms on that list.

Further, most of the top firms (MC and the 'chasing pack') hold other events such as drinks receptions, buffets, dinners, corporate and career workshops.

A law firm would neither waste the time nor money in doing all these things if it wasn't serious about taking on such students. I think it is fair to say that a law degree from Birmingham is viewed with pretty much equal respect as most of the rest of the top 20. They merely want to see that have the requisite academics at A level, and the required class of degree (generally 2:1 +) - it does not concern them too much where that 2:1 or above came from unless it's outside the top 20 or from Oxbridge. Beyond this they are concerned with what you do outside your studies, and it almost needn't be said that this is not dependent on your choice of university.
Would you count Exeter as a 'top 20' law school? There are a lot of 'respectable' law schools, much more than 20...
THE PROPHETOR!
Rep:
?
(Original post by muncrun)

As you can see, pretty much every City firm worth its salt goes to the Birmingham Law Fair. Admittedly, there's a notable lack of US firms, but that doesn't necessarily reflect their view on the uni - US outfits in London tend to be smaller operations and so do not have the resources to recruit beyond the very upper echelons of law schools. (I think it's Vitriol that's about to start to train with a US firm, and he's from Newcastle). There's also a few lesser known local firms on that list.

A law firm would neither waste the time nor money in doing all these things if it wasn't serious about taking on such students. I think it is fair to say that a law degree from Birmingham is viewed with pretty much equal respect as most of the rest of the top 20. They merely want to see that you have the requisite academics at A level, and the required class of degree (generally 2:1 +) - it does not concern them too much where that 2:1 or above came from unless it's outside the top 20 or from Oxbridge. Beyond this they are concerned with what you do outside your studies, and it almost needn't be said that this is not dependent on your choice of university.
Thank you Muncrun, that was very nice of you to post such a detailed reply. You have eased my mind about the respectiveness of Birmingham University.

Oh, yes... I remember you are at Birmingham...What year are you in? Whats your impression of Birmingham? I am really tempted to cancel my other replies and just go to birmingham, I was just worried about how a law degree from Birmingham would look.

Thanks again

Jason
muncrun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why did you say you willl try not to be biased? Are you at Birmingham?
Yea I am mate. Might seem difficult to see my advice as being non-biased, but I'm just telling it like I see it!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed