The Student Room Group

English Literature A Level

Hi i do edexcel english literature and i was wondering how to revise for english and like how to make sure you get 24 marks in essays etc.:smile:
Take a look on YouTube there’s so much information on there on how to be a top grade English Lit student. I’ve been looking for my youngest daughter who’s taking her GCSEs but I’m sure there will be videos aimed at Alevels too. Jen Chan for example has some great literary analysis videos.
Original post by Dreamzzzz12
Hi i do edexcel english literature and i was wondering how to revise for english and like how to make sure you get 24 marks in essays etc.:smile:

To add to the other reply, you can find recorded lectures on Youtube that provide more information on the texts you're studying. I noticed a difference in my grades when I watched a university lecture on Othello and was able to understand the bigger picture of the play, which was being taught at a higher level. I started to write like I was an expert on the subject (without overstepping and being too complicated), whilst throwing in some terms like 'eponymous', 'dramatic foil' and other terms used by academics! Don't be afraid to zone into passages and give a close analysis, but remember to relate it all back as a whole. Also do some research in your own time into the author, the context they are writing in, and what academics commonly argue about the texts, so you demonstrate you do your own work.

I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by kscgemini
Take a look on YouTube there’s so much information on there on how to be a top grade English Lit student. I’ve been looking for my youngest daughter who’s taking her GCSEs but I’m sure there will be videos aimed at Alevels too. Jen Chan for example has some great literary analysis videos.

tysmmm ill check out and see if theres any videos:smile:
Original post by eunbipsy
To add to the other reply, you can find recorded lectures on Youtube that provide more information on the texts you're studying. I noticed a difference in my grades when I watched a university lecture on Othello and was able to understand the bigger picture of the play, which was being taught at a higher level. I started to write like I was an expert on the subject (without overstepping and being too complicated), whilst throwing in some terms like 'eponymous', 'dramatic foil' and other terms used by academics! Don't be afraid to zone into passages and give a close analysis, but remember to relate it all back as a whole. Also do some research in your own time into the author, the context they are writing in, and what academics commonly argue about the texts, so you demonstrate you do your own work.

awwww tyyy thats rlly helpful ill see if theres a university lecture on my novel:smile:
awwww tyyy thats rlly helpful ill see if theres a university lecture on my novel:smile:

also podcasts - In Our Time gives some really great insight into pretty much any text you can think of.
Original post by eunbipsy

also hw would i be able to improve my writing in poetry as theres not any lectures on poems:smile:
Original post by Fire dude
also podcasts - In Our Time gives some really great insight into pretty much any text you can think of.

ill also check that out tyyy :smile:
do u know how to write a level 5 response for poetry btw :smile:
ill also check that out tyyy :smile:
do u know how to write a level 5 response for poetry btw :smile:

I'm doing aqa, so our poetry anthology questions include a novel as well, which in a way makes it easier.

However, I'd reccomend really researching the context and time periods of the poems (eg. modernism or whatever)

Also, websites like genius and litcharts have some interesting interpretations that you can help fuel your own ideas - I find them really useful.

Quick Reply