The Student Room Group

help with choices

i am planning to take 4 a levels- maths chem physics and something else but i dont know whether to take german, sociology, econ, english lit or classics as my fourth a level

bonus info
- we have 2 socio teachers and one is lovely and one is clinically insane, they share classes
- i am good at german and enjoy it very much
- classics seems interesting because the topics that we do are all v cool
- english lit idk why but it is appealing
- econ is a good subject i think unis like it asw, a bunch of my friends are doing it and they all love it

(i am predicted all 8s and 9s, take 11 gcses and go to a grammar school so taking 4 a levels is probably not going to be a big problem)

i am not that sure what i want to do as a degree or a job in the future (possibly something related to engineering?) but i hope to go to oxbridge or st andrews.

thanks pls help
With your 3 a levels economics seems as a good fit, and in my school id say there's a high success rate with eco too as most of my friends who took it last year ended up taking them for AS as well, however if you've never studied it before it will be slightly difficult. If you want a subject like eco but not economics then you should look at sociology. Sociology is good for just knowing about society in general and how systems work etc so id say its helpful for understanding the wider world and could be helpful for engineering. Eng lit is my comfort subject, it's just so fun, if you like analysing new poems, reading books and annotating and looking in for the deeper interpretation its awesome. German is a good option for a lighter a level especially if youre really good at the language, and universities like seeing the dif variety of subjects so as for oxbridge i think it would help your case. Hope this kinda helps!
Original post by aady4
i am planning to take 4 a levels- maths chem physics and something else but i dont know whether to take german, sociology, econ, english lit or classics as my fourth a level

bonus info
- we have 2 socio teachers and one is lovely and one is clinically insane, they share classes
- econ is a good subject i think unis like it asw, a bunch of my friends are doing it and they all love it

(i am predicted all 8s and 9s, take 11 gcses and go to a grammar school so taking 4 a levels is probably not going to be a big problem)

i am not that sure what i want to do as a degree or a job in the future (possibly something related to engineering?) but i hope to go to oxbridge or st andrews.

thanks pls help

Economics would fit in well with your other subjects more than the other possibilities.
I personally did sociology and loved it. Id already done it at gcse and loved it, and at a-level it didnt disappoint. Its also a bit of a change from your other maths/science relates subjects.
Classics and english lit i suppose are a change from your other maths/science related subjects. But id read into them a bit more before committing to them,
Original post by aady4

bonus info

thanks pls help

If you're considering doing engineering, do further maths.
dont take a fourth
Original post by aady4

bonus info

thanks pls help

I would pick economics as it is more different to the others you have picked and a good subject plus you like it aswell.
Original post by aady4

bonus info

thanks pls help

Heya!
Check out Prospects in terms of what you can do in the future. Perhaps stick to 3 a-levels rather than 4 if possible as unis only require 3 a-levels. I did 4 and it was so much work and stress. If you want to do smth like engineering then perhaps consider doing FM as a 4th :h: It goes along well with maths.

I hope this helps!
milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
I did sociology and personally really enjoyed it due to how relevant it is
your other options suggest you prefer exams over coursework so sociology would be great as it's completely exam based

Quick Reply

Latest