Further maths help Watch

Sophie Maywood
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi

What specific grade requirements do you need to gain entry for an A level further maths course. Also, who choses whether you can do further maths, i.e. is it your teacher, or yourself.

I'm confused because I want to do further maths but I don't know how to and what you need (grades ) to do the course.

Helo please intelligent maths folk.
Mathematica
Report 10 years ago
well in my crappy high school it was a B in maths in my sixth form you need a minimum of 5A's at GCSE
Kinkerz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm no mathematician, but surely it depends on the school. Different schools will have different policies...

Ask your school.
rapha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It varies from sixth form to sixth form, but where I go to, you need an A at GCSE Maths.
aKarma
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends on the school/college on what they would let you in for.

As for if you could do it, it depends. If you say got a C at GCSe and had worked really hard for it you'd have a hard time getting through it. However if you got an A or B but did sod all for it, you might be ok. Further maths at the moment doesn't really require any pure mathematical talent, so the methods can just be learnt but you would enjoy it much more if you could understand it. Assuming you have the mathematical ability, grades are unlikely to be a problem as long as you can convince whoever is responsible (normally the head of maths).
Sophie Maywood
Rep:
?
What topics are associated with Further maths, i.e. is there any algebra involved or is it just problem solving?
Rosemary7391
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My sixth form asks for an A in GCSE maths. There is a lot of algebra; It is an extension of the core/pure modules! Plus some more applied modules as well.
smileysnubz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
At my school it was A/A* but they did warn us that its not really your grades at GCSE that mean you'll understand it. You either get it or don't. I took the chance anyway, and it not too terrible so far
Sophie Maywood
Rep:
?
So could you give me an example of one of the questions asked or some equations you need to learn?
smileysnubz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well we've started with imaginary numbers and matrices - stuff you won't have come across at GCSE or in AS Maths. So far it been lots of algebra type stuff. If I gave you a question, it would probably make no sense, you would need to know about the topic first. But from my opinion, its fast but not unbearable. Having said that, the new stuff does take a while to get your head around
Sophie Maywood
Rep:
?
Just out of thought, is a matrice a bracket with lots of numbers in, i.e. (4/4) and there are numbers on the outside aswell, am I vaguely correct?

smileysnubz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeahhh, thats it.
*EDIT* you sound like someone who is really determined, to be honest, I never did much research into the subject, especially not this early on when I was in year 11. Provided you work hard, you'll do fine. do further maths!
D-Day
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mathematica)
well in my crappy high school it was a B in maths in my sixth form you need a minimum of 5A's at GCSE
I love your namesake.
Jonny0204
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sophie Maywood)
Just out of thought, is a matrice a bracket with lots of numbers in, i.e. (4/4) and there are numbers on the outside aswell, am I vaguely correct?

it is yeah, infact i think that you do matrices in gcse, i think
they're usually in the form of a 2x2 or 3x3 square in FP1 tho.
Its a couple of month since i did FP1, i've been labouring through Decision maths and Statistics 2. Btw, decision maths is probably the most boring subject u will ever have to come across in your life and the 6th form or college u go to may decide on doing it to keep your grades high. The best part about D1 that i can say is when a question we were given by the teacher in the assessment indicated incest. Thats how bored i was lol

Don't mean to put you off tho, doing further maths is great if you love maths now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (192)
27.79%
No (499)
72.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise