The Student Room Group

University course

I'm not too sure what to do at uni considering my subjects don't allow me to do Economics at better universities, so are there any courses with a likeness to economics or anything else I can consider? My a levels are Business, Law and Media.
I am under the assumption you want a finance related degree. Because you don't have A level maths, I would suggest an "Accounting and Finance" degree. It's similar to Economics in terms of finance modules but isn't nearly as math intensive. There generally aren't any subject specific requirements but universities may have preference for Maths, Economics and Buisness A levels. Again this depends on the university.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
I have considered accounting and finance but majority require A level maths and my GCSE maths grade is also a restricting as most unis require a 6 but i have only a 5. Does this mean i just shouldn't go to uni at all?
Original post by kmtm22
I have considered accounting and finance but majority require A level maths and my GCSE maths grade is also a restricting as most unis require a 6 but i have only a 5. Does this mean i just shouldn't go to uni at all?

Have you tried looking for courses with foundation years? They generally have lower entry requirements that you may be able to meet. If you can't find one then I would suggest trying to resit GCSE Maths and getting a higher grade. There are finance related courses that you can meet the requirements for however these will be considered "lower tier" universities like Coventry or NTU.
Try the uni guide A level explorer
Reply 5
I have looked into Politics as it seems more suitable considering my a level subjects, and the rest of my grades are fine its just my maths that a bit too average. As for foundation years I haven't found one that Im allowed to apply for as they are usually for foreign students.
Why not business/management.

If your maths GCSE isn’t great then going for any maths heavy degree is just setting yourself up to fail (or at best struggle).
Original post by kmtm22
I'm not too sure what to do at uni considering my subjects don't allow me to do Economics at better universities, so are there any courses with a likeness to economics or anything else I can consider? My a levels are Business, Law and Media.

Heya!
You could potentially do law - you don't need specific subjects for it, just good grades :h: You could also do politics or a foundation year in something economics related perhaps? Do some search on unicompare and look at different courses and their entry requirements.

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest